• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

I have been wanting to start doing these for a while.  I have read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and even found youtube videos of him going over the technique which I found really helpful.  He does an amazing job of breaking down the lift and explaining the mechanics.  

I have been keeping the weight constant and trying to teach myself the muscle memory to perform the lift correctly before I start loading up the weight.  

I am getting better with the catch.  It did take a while to for me to get the jump shrug part down - using my arms as levers not as movers.  My natural instinct was to half shrug and half upright row the weight up.  

So how long does it take to learn this lift?  Am I being overly cautious or just overthinking this?

• Wesleyinman likes this

#2 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

well i would say hire a smart coach to teach these lifts. if not possible watch lots and lots of youtube videos,

http://milehighkratom.com/janoy15 for 15% discount<p>Most of my post are simply talking out loud. Do not take what I say seriously.

Wes15 also for 15% off of imr products. They're always reliable on the shipping speeds so if you need it fast, you know where to go.

#3 Acerola

Acerola

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

I honestly think you are overthinking this. Rippetoe has some good explanation but IMO christian thibaudeau's articles and video content may be more useful for trying to think about and apply the oly lifts. A coach is not a bad idea but as with ALL MAJOR LIFTS, the old school approach of there is only one way to squat and if you don't do it, you will never make gains ect, is totally, totally wrong.

IMO, yes you don't want to hurt yourself and it is smart to load these moves slowly but you can't be afraid to get into it. Once yoyu start to work any Oly Lift heavy, form falls to the wayside and you have to work with your body to move the weight. that's what makes these lifts thrilling to watch imo. Learning and practicing are key with these and all compound moves. 

I would say keep reading, watching and learning, but don't be scared of the practical element also. 

At the very least look up how christian teaches the hang clean and how he thinks about the different parts/focuses/explosive chain of moves. Might help a lot. 

#4 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Reading the SS was a great breakdown of the movement.  Seeing the videos online of Rip actually teaching the lift took the explanation of the mechanics from a theory to reality by seeing it in action and seeing Rip actually teaching the lift to students.  

It was like Starting Strength the TV show, which for an 80's kid with ADHD like me, helped make the connection between words in a book and actual execution.

Last time I started increasing the weight, I noticed that my soreness from the movement was shifting away from the traps and more in my erectors. 

I am guessing that as I increased the load my form changed just like Arcerola mentioned above. 

I am not going to give up on the lift.  I am still young enough ( at least I think I am ) that I can still learn how to perform it correctly.

Am going to seek out some accredited trainers in my area and see if bear any fruit.

I have got some good feedback so far.  Thanks guys.   

#5 Wesleyinman

Wesleyinman

• Members
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

I have done these for years..and honestly I feel like you can get hurt if you don't do these right..so stay light and work on the form and you will perfect it.

Specifically watch your wrists, wear wrist wraps and watch your back as well. These are the easiest things to hurt..so a belt and wrist wraps are what I recommend.  If you are trying to use these for a strength sport then of course knee wraps will also give you some solid strength gains believe it or not..but I guess it depends on what you are using them for?

I learned mine from Justin Harris, search him on youtube..try to follow his form, but don't mimic his weight unless you too are a monster like he is.  You will see him warmup with 225, which is not normal LOL.

Good luck.

• Reginald Kelso III likes this

Sponsored Lighweight 105K Strongman Competitor

IRON MAG LABS BODYBUILDING REP -

"WES15" for 15% off all orders at

www.ironmaglabs.com or www.ironmagresearch.com

#6 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

knee wraps are debated to cause injury with no real benefits other than if you were competing in meets that allowed them

http://milehighkratom.com/janoy15 for 15% discount<p>Most of my post are simply talking out loud. Do not take what I say seriously.

Wes15 also for 15% off of imr products. They're always reliable on the shipping speeds so if you need it fast, you know where to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users