• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 crustyballs

crustyballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

I'm looking for recommendations on good shoes for lifting. Specifically lower body lifts.

Ones I have been using so far-

- converse all star chuck Taylor's - ( they are cheaply made and don't last long, but I think these are the best I used so far.

- vibram 5 fingers ( only good for running, expensive, generally a pain in the ass on many levels)

- doc martens boots. ( good ankle support, last long and exceptionally and well made; - but no flat sole, has big heel lift)

- underarmour sneakers ( minimalist style, good for polymetric style explosive lifts and jumps- but that's about it.)

Looking to spend under $120 if at all possible. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

I was a nike guy exclusively for years, I think it was a carryover from my basketball/running days. 

I recently switched to reebok.  Could not be happier.  They are not the crossfit line, they are low profile (minimal sole padding and heel elevation).  I got mine cheap on amazon.  So plus one for reebok.

The only issue I had shopping for reebok or any shoes for that matter is the colors.  Why does every pair of shoes have to be so loud.  Neon and blue, Neon and black.  It took me forever to find a pair that was grey on black and the pair was discontinued so I bought 3 pairs.  Two sit in my closet unworn until I wear out the pair I am wearing now.  Yes I actually did that....

Don't be that guy who wears the vibram 5 finger shoes to the gym.  If you want to be a minimalist that badly just take off your shoes and squat and deadlift barefoot.  

#3 commandopat

commandopat

• Members
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationCali, except when on cycle and then in The Netherlands

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

Chuck Taylor's work well for me and last about a year.
Exercise--------1RM--------@ Weight
Flat Bench-----395lbs x2---198lbs
Deadlift---------600lbs---- --210lbs
Pull-ups---------52
Pushups--------2020 in 1 set, non-stop, no knees on ground etc, in 2H 8 mins.

#4 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

If you want to lift weight, wear weightlifting shoes. If you're running, where running shoes. Don't squat or dead lift without shoes because you can potentially cause damage to your feet. 

#5 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

If you want to lift weight, wear weightlifting shoes. If you're running, where running shoes. Don't squat or dead lift without shoes because you can potentially cause damage to your feet. 

vT17K.jpg

? :glare: ?

• sinewave3 likes this

#6 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

vT17K.jpg

? :glare: ?

Ok wise ass. Just because he's done it back in the late 70's or early 80's doesn't make it correct or safe. Do whatever you want to do and I'll continue to have my own opinions. 

#7 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

Easy kins.  This is one of those things that I think goes like this:

Arnold deadlifts bare foot -  7 time Mr Olympia

Michael Jordan - Wore Air Jordans  - Best player ever

Who would tell Arnold not to deadlift barefoot?  I wouldn't.....

Who would give Michael Jordan basketball tips?  No one

When you are that great at something you can make your own rules.

But if it is between Vibram finger toe shoes and barefoot - I would pick barefoot every time.  

#8 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

Easy kins.  This is one of those things that I think goes like this:

Arnold deadlifts bare foot -  7 time Mr Olympia

Michael Jordan - Wore Air Jordans  - Best player ever

Who would tell Arnold not to deadlift barefoot?  I wouldn't.....

Who would give Michael Jordan basketball tips?  No one

When you are that great at something you can make your own rules.

But if it is between Vibram finger toe shoes and barefoot - I would pick barefoot every time.  

I'd just purchase some weightlifting shoes. I agree about the Vibrams though, automatic douche-bag status right there. No I wouldn't tell Arnold not to dead lift barefoot. I'm not Arnold though and I want to protect my feet. Any problem with your feet can seriously screw up your lifting. Michael Jordan wears Basketball sneakers to play basketball though. I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm just giving my opinion on what I believe and what I'd do. If you read that information and follow it, it becomes advice. Otherwise it's just information presented based on my knowledge and opinion. 

• Reginald Kelso III likes this

#9 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Rocky ate raw eggs, does that mean if I eat raw eggs I'll become a champion boxer?. If I wear Air Jordans will I become a professional NBA player?

#10 Reginald Kelso III

Reginald Kelso III

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Rocky ate raw eggs, does that mean if I eat raw eggs I'll become a champion boxer?. If I wear Air Jordans will I become a professional NBA player?

No no no.   If you deadlift barefoot you should be pulling a shit ton of weight and look like Ahhnold.

If you wear Air Jordans you should play up to the name.

If you consume  raw eggs it should be at christmas time in the form of egg nog.

I squatted barefoot.  It was when I was doing cardio in the same session at the end of my workout and wanted to wear shoes with some cushion but did not like how it was feeling while i was squatting ( having heels slightly elevated).

#11 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

I like my Adidas powerlifting shoes. cost 200 but still look brand new. only wear in the gym. worth it for me. they feel better than barefoot.

http://milehighkratom.com/janoy15 for 15% discount<p>Most of my post are simply talking out loud. Do not take what I say seriously.

Wes15 also for 15% off of imr products. They're always reliable on the shipping speeds so if you need it fast, you know where to go.

#12 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:29 PM

I like my Adidas powerlifting shoes. cost 200 but still look brand new. only wear in the gym. worth it for me. they feel better than barefoot.

Yeah that's because they are meant to be used for lifting.

#13 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

Plus they will last forever if you take care of them.

#14 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:57 PM

I don't need new ones but now I'm thinking about getting a new pair.

#15 commandopat

commandopat

• Members
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationCali, except when on cycle and then in The Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

I wear my converse for deadlifts and mock those of you who have special shoes. Too many people are gear queers and overthink the simple things.
Just lift.
  • C.Stank89 likes this
Exercise--------1RM--------@ Weight
Flat Bench-----395lbs x2---198lbs
Deadlift---------600lbs---- --210lbs
Pull-ups---------52
Pushups--------2020 in 1 set, non-stop, no knees on ground etc, in 2H 8 mins.

#16 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

I have super high arches which cause a lot of pain if I go barefoot or don't have enough support. Literally feels like the arches in my feet are tearing in half. Anyways heard the adidas Adipowers are great for slim feet with high arches, really want to get a set but don't want to spend 200 on a pair of shoes, could get 4 more vials for that. I probably should invest in them because I have a horrible back too, idk

#17 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

Back problems*

#18 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

I have super high arches which cause a lot of pain if I go barefoot or don't have enough support. Literally feels like the arches in my feet are tearing in half. Anyways heard the adidas Adipowers are great for slim feet with high arches, really want to get a set but don't want to spend 200 on a pair of shoes, could get 4 more vials for that. I probably should invest in them because I have a horrible back too, idk

You don't need to spend that much. I was just browsing and found a pair for $90 with free shipping. Also, this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't lift barefoot. I suggest getting some with the lowest heel height you can find. 

#19 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Really? Was thinking the opposite

#20 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

You shouldn't really be deadlifting in Oly shoes (adipowers/romeleos). The heal lift which is beneficial for squatting, is going to lean you forward, and at a slight deficit, which is a negative for deadlifting.

Oly shoes are great for squatting and I love my Romeleos for that. However, for deads, I go barefoot for now but likely will invest in some chucks at some point. Many powerlifters wear either deadlift slippers (look like women's flats) or chucks.

Running shoes really are the worst because the cushion they have creates an unstable platform for lifting.

Cliffs:
Don't wear running shoes, chucks are a good choice for cheap, or save pennies and invest in Oly shoes

#21 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

You shouldn't really be deadlifting in Oly shoes (adipowers/romeleos). The heal lift which is beneficial for squatting, is going to lean you forward, and at a slight deficit, which is a negative for deadlifting.

Oly shoes are great for squatting and I love my Romeleos for that. However, for deads, I go barefoot for now but likely will invest in some chucks at some point. Many powerlifters wear either deadlift slippers (look like women's flats) or chucks.

Running shoes really are the worst because the cushion they have creates an unstable platform for lifting.

Cliffs:
Don't wear running shoes, chucks are a good choice for cheap, or save pennies and invest in Oly shoes

I believe the people that can't dead lift in weight lifting shoes are just getting too high heel height. They shouldn't be leaning you too far forward. If they are the heel is either too high or something is wrong with your form. 

• iceman99uc likes this

#22 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

I believe the people that can't dead lift in weight lifting shoes are just getting too high heel height. They shouldn't be leaning you too far forward. If they are the heel is either too high or something is wrong with your form.

I mean obviously you can lift in them without worrying about an injury or other issues. It's just not fully optimal for maximum weight movement.

Just in terms of physics you're changing the axis of the movement ever so slightly. I have Romeleos w 3/4" heel, same as most standard Oly shoes (some have 1/2"). It's going to make you change because you are changing the angle of your ankles/shins.

Honestly, it turns it into a small deficit deadlift which will make you stronger in the long run if you then lift flat footed.

That said, Oly shoes are far, far better than running shoes. In my mind they're worth the investment and use for almost all barbell related activity, esp squats, OHP, rows, and even deads.

#23 C.Stank89

C.Stank89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Simple.. Chucks for every lifting day.. only time I'm not in them is if I'm doing cardio. 

#24 kins38

kins38

Forum Dickhead

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

Again, use weight lifting shoes for lifting weights.

#25 seabiscuit hogg

seabiscuit hogg

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:02 AM

I wear Jordans but they wore out fast. Gonna go back to Chuck Taylors next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users