• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Nom Z

Nom Z

The Real Deal

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

This study is about drug expiration dates, but supplement expiration dates can be easily compared since they come in similar forms (liquid/capsule/pill/powder). If you keep your supps and drugs in a cool, dry environment, they should retain their potency well past the expiration date.

http://www.medletter...cs/expdrugs.pdf

CONCLUSION —
There are virtually no reports of toxicity from degradation products of
outdated drugs. How much of their potency they retain varies with the drug and the storage
conditions, especially humidity, but many drugs stored under reasonable conditions retain
90% of their potency for at least 5 years after the expiration date on the label, and sometimes
much longer.

Edited by SplashN96, 08 January 2009 - 01:54 PM.

• Roun3er and Fairytale like this
Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com

All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.

#2 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

This post should clear up A LOT of speculation about if ph/ds are still fine to use when expired, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

#3 MikeDre

MikeDre

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

This post should clear up A LOT of speculation about if ph/ds are still fine to use when expired, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

After doing some research I basically just found that on medications at least the expiration date is just the 100% effectiveness guarantee date

#4 Nom Z

Nom Z

The Real Deal

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Good to hear brah, also good for all the banned supps.

#5 deniall

deniall

emaciated aussie

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

I have 100 tabs of nolva and on about 30 of the tabs the metal seal has cracked letting air inside. Would these still be ok to use? I have spoken to the guy who I got these from and he has told me it happened during shipping as a lot of his are like that too. They expiry is 2011 so lots of time to go but I was just curious about the unsealed tabs.
I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food, you unleash its awesome power, i'm told. That's why i'm compressing 5 pounds of spaghetti into one handy mouth-sized bar. Hospital please.

#6 calibaseball

calibaseball

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

should be ok if they are dont expire until 2011, i would assume they would be good till then unless they get wet or somethign like that. if they were expired might be something else...

on an entirely different note, i have an inhaler (used to have bad asthma, still get it from time to time mostly an allergic thing though) that expired 2 years ago, had asthma flair up the other day, used it, worked perfectly.

Moral of the story, expiration dates dont mean much, unless it is retardedly expired, like 5 years

Edited by calibaseball, 12 January 2009 - 03:39 AM.

Not a game,
its a life.

http://www.prohormon...h-drol-log.html

**Chew Crew**

#7 Macrobolic

Macrobolic

RIP Sammoken

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have 100 tabs of nolva and on about 30 of the tabs the metal seal has cracked letting air inside. Would these still be ok to use? I have spoken to the guy who I got these from and he has told me it happened during shipping as a lot of his are like that too. They expiry is 2011 so lots of time to go but I was just curious about the unsealed tabs.

If you can, but them into a bottle that will seal tightly and add in a packet of the dessicant (sp?). That should keep moisture from affecting them much.

#8 Macrobolic

Macrobolic

RIP Sammoken

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

After doing some research I basically just found that on medications at least the expiration date is just the 100% effectiveness guarantee date

I agree with this. I've got maybe another 2 cycles worth of Thermogenic Thyrotabs from Gaspari. They expired May 2008, but I've kept them in their original packaging and sealed them up in some zip lock baggies. That way, I'm hoping that they'll last me much, much longer.

#9 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

I agree with this. I've got maybe another 2 cycles worth of Thermogenic Thyrotabs from Gaspari. They expired May 2008, but I've kept them in their original packaging and sealed them up in some zip lock baggies. That way, I'm hoping that they'll last me much, much longer.

If you really want them to last a long time vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer.

#10 Macrobolic

Macrobolic

RIP Sammoken

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

If you really want them to last a long time vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer.

I tried to vacuum seal them best I could, and they're in the freezer as we speak.:)

#11 Nom Z

Nom Z

The Real Deal

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

This, vacuum sealing kits are pretty cheap, remove all air and moisture, and they'll last forever.

#12 Macrobolic

Macrobolic

RIP Sammoken

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

This, vacuum sealing kits are pretty cheap, remove all air and moisture, and they'll last forever.

This is true.

I think when I get paid next I'll go pick one up at the grocery store. I've seen a couple of them there.

#13 xidium

xidium

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:18 AM

What about expired protein? On supplementwarehouse I just bought an 8 lb tub of some weight gainer for $15 because it expires this month. Good deal, or rotten protein? :isee:

#14 Nom Z

Nom Z

The Real Deal

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

What about expired protein? On supplementwarehouse I just bought an 8 lb tub of some weight gainer for $15 because it expires this month. Good deal, or rotten protein? :isee:

Good deal, keep it in a dry place out of the sun.

#15 spartan300

spartan300

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:19 AM

wouldn't throwing them in the freezer cause deactivation of the product

wouldn't it be better to vaccuum seal and keep in the recommended temp. on the bottle?

#16 Domokun

Domokun

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

I took some 1yr old ON whey and didnt die, so yeah its OK

#17 xidium

xidium

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Good deal, keep it in a dry place out of the sun.

I took some 1yr old ON whey and didnt die, so yeah its OK

Thanks.. :fukinskanks:

#18 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Thanks.. :fukinskanks:

Cool/Dark/Dry place.

It you're putting them in the freezer put them in vac-sealed bags so no moisture gets in.

edit: haha just realized you were talking about protein...that shit should be fine! I need to go to bed haha.

#19 TheRevival

TheRevival

Insane?

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

wouldn't throwing them in the freezer cause deactivation of the product

wouldn't it be better to vaccuum seal and keep in the recommended temp. on the bottle?

I'm wondering the same thing. Is anyone sure that putting vacuum sealed powders/tabs in the freezer is a good idea?
:):):)

"In the last 30 years, we have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a failed war on drugs. This war has been used as an excuse to attack our liberties and privacy."

"Simply put, freedom is the absence of government coercion. Our Founding Fathers understood this... The Constitution established a very limited, decentralized government... For the first time, a government was created solely to protect the rights, liberties, and property of its citizens."

- Congressman Ron Paul

#20 showstoppa

showstoppa

Geaux Tigers!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

trust vacuum sealing and freezing is by far the best thing to do. why would it deactivate the product? ive seen test done on tren hex that was frozen and sealed 6 years earlier and it still test out at 98.2% pure. so i know it works.

#21 Member

Penis Pumping 24/7

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Great thread

#22 brockles

brockles

RIP Sammoken

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

So if i take my 3 year out of date accutane i'll be fine? :steroidsbad:

UK BRAHS

#23 underground

underground

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

most every drug in tablet or capsule form is good for at least 2 years past expiration date without degrading given it is sealed and kept in a cool dark place (in yo closet dawg)

:yodawg:

#24 lorax

lorax

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

Does anyone have the original pdf? The link doesn't work anymore and Id like to see the original article.

Also - anyone know of a lab one can send their own samples of old supps off to for analysis (for a reasonable price)?

Edited by lorax, 28 December 2010 - 08:55 PM.
brevity

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: capsules, drug, drugs, dry, label, liquid, powder, products, supplement, toxicity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users