Psychological Side Effects: Placebo/Expectancy Effects

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

Pro hormone and steroid use is nothing new, it’s rumored that the German’s used steroids in WWII in order to buff up their soldiers. It’s a fact that they have been around for a while and there is no doubt about their effectiveness and demand for respect. Currently there seems to be an epidemic of nasty side effects stemming from PH/DS use. The question is why are all of these users experiencing sides all of a sudden? Are companies using different formulas in their products than they were before? The answer is no. For the most part the recent “trend” of nasty side effects stems from users experiencing “psychological” side effects. Now you may say, it’s also proven that PH/DS can cause side effects such as lethargy/fever, testicular atrophy, elevated blood pressure, loss of libido, and of course gynocomastia. This is also true, although why the sudden increase in sides the past few years then? It’s because users (who are mostly uneducated about PH/DS) are expecting these side effects. Constant searching on forums causes these users to worry about side effects, most commonly gynocomastia AKA Teh gynoz.

You’re mind is a powerful thing and your emotional state and beliefs about health and illness, come into play determining which sides your will actually experience. The same is true with the “placebo effect”. Why is it Double-blind controlled studies show tests where 10 individuals were tested 5 given alcoholic beverages and 5 given nonalcoholic beverages (the twist was the people drinking alcohol were told be testers they weren’t drinking alcohol and vise versa). At the end of the night after all 10 consumed many drinks some who were drinking nonalcoholic drinks felt too drunk to drive home, and some who were drinking alcohol told testers they felt sober as a nun? This is the same case where people are told they are taking Dramamine (actually sugar pills) do not get seasick. With a little time spent searching you can find hundreds of studies like this. The effect results from the user’s fear of the PH/DS’s side effects, not from the PH/DS itself. Now the big question now is, “Ok I can see how feeling lethargic/depressed/having elevated blood pressure/ having headaches could be brought on by the mind, BUT how in the hell can the mind bring on gynocomastia??? Well the answer is pretty simple actually. If you are familiar with the self fulfilling prophecy, this is the exact cause of it. The user starts to worry about gyno, begins feeling nipples everyday to make sure they aren’t puffy/itchy (this stimulates the production of prolactin, which could in turn lead to prolactin induced gyno. This is the exact definition of the self fulfilling prophecy.

With all this said I am not saying that you should not use support supplements such as Cycle Support. Of course not all side effects from PH/DS can be controlled psychologically and there is a definite need for these products (which end up helping both BODY and MIND!)

So what can you do to combat these issues? Simple, first wait until you are ready, turning 21 doesn’t magically qualify you. Next, research your cycle, get all the necessary information, decide if you want to take the risk. IF you decide to run the cycle, buy support supplements (this is the only way to make sure you have all your bases for safety covered). Finally when you are on cycle be responsible, have fun and don’t spend the next 4-8 weeks worrying!

All of this is just my personal opinion so you can agree or not, BUT, there is no denying that the Placebo Effect and Expectancy Effects are proven.

SOURCES
http://www.bcx.net/h...sis/placebo.htm
http://dionysus.psyc...testam2006a.pdf

#2 KmuL

KmuL

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'm re-opening this for comments and shared experiences :)

#3 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

I'm re-opening this for comments and shared experiences :)

haha read my mind, I thought after I closed it it would be more helpful if it was open :D

#4 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

EDITED: I found some spelling mistakes

#5 serialced

serialced

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

might want to use more paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes ;)

#6 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

might want to use more paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes ;)

happy??? :P

#7 serialced

serialced

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

happy??? :P

almost :P

#8 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

almost :P

:asshole:

#9 JaberWaki

JaberWaki

What?You didn't like that

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Solid post and good read.
Anabolic Innovations Rep

Nothing good has ever come from france.

I plan on hitting 450 ATG squat at around 200 lbs.

Most regular people would say, it's hard! And any streetwise son of a bitch knows Don't f*ck with this!:alucard:

<<<Small Guns Crew>>>

Church of Magnus Fe. Kneel bitches.......

#10 oxs22

oxs22

wat

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

So if I imagine that I'm going to look like Ronnie Coleman, do you think my Methadrol will make it so? :P

#11 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

So if I imagine that I'm going to look like Ronnie Coleman, do you think my Methadrol will make it so? :P

:thumbup:

#12 Superdrolin'

Superdrolin'

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

Atta boy. :batman:

#13 TheLBM

TheLBM

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

I was VERY skeptical going into my havoc cycle. VERY skeptical.
And it out performed my every expectation.
I had more expectations from some of the NO i had tried.

#14 SplashN96

SplashN96

• Members
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

I was VERY skeptical going into my havoc cycle. VERY skeptical.
And it out performed my every expectation.
I had more expectations from some of the NO i had tried.

Well of course this doesn't apply in every situation. Example: the study I talked about in the article about drinking, eventually the people who thought they weren't drinking but where (who felt sober) would be falling off their chairs. The fact that they thought they weren't drinking won't counteract the effects the alcohol will have on their body in the end.

Happy to hear you had a good cycle though.

#15 antihero

antihero

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

Personally, I go into every new cycle (new compound) with the thoughts that I'm going to gain 30lbs and experience no sides. I find that keeping myself positive and shooting extremely high pushes me to try and make it, and I think that helps me gain more on cycle.
I am a Troll and I steel from people

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users