Photo
- - - - -

Ask here for fulltext research papers (Warning: WOT)

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#1 sundrk

sundrk

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

I know most journals out there are subscription based and not all of us have access to them, or feel like driving to a major research university library to pull up full text pdf's...

Let me fill you guys in on how i got involved in medical research and what sparked my desire to become a bio major.

Sometime when I was 16/17 years old I would browse these sites (mostly anabolicminds and *****************) and I would read a bunch of abstracts posted about sports science / endocrinology, etc. I really got intrtested in reading these abstracts, I started browsing pubmed and finding my own papers that interested me. I got so interested in the science and physiology of building muscle (specifically how steroids and PCT worked) I decided to go into biology, and even found a lab at my school that researches sex steroids (mostly estrogen). I've been in this lab for almost 3 years now (I even got the opportunity to spend last summer at NIH working full time in a research lab), and I've learned a lot about how to think like a scientist. One of the biggest surprises to me were the existence of fulltext articles, yes there's more to a paper than an abstract. It's really important to real the whole paper and not just skim over the abstract. I know this industry is filled with broscience, if you dig up some of my old posts from these forums I'm pretty sure I had some arguments with supplement companies and their science. Even when you read a write up, I would recomend looking into their sources, it's astonishing what you can find out.

Another thing I've learned is not all scientific papers are equal, the journal it's published in can make a big difference on the quality of the research. I've presented papers in journal club that I though were so groundbreaking only to have them shot down out of the sky for their lack of "proof". I've learned that a lot of authors like to come to their own biased conclusions when to comes to scientific papers (this goes right into the abstract), it's really important to read the paper and try to come to your own conclusions. I know not everyone here (my self included) can read every paper and understand it, but don't be discouraged.

So what I'm proposing is this: if you find a source/paper that you find interesting (and you cant get it for free), I'll find it, post it, and we can all discuss it. I know a lot of these papers relating to steroids are from the 1960's, I have access to most of these in print form and I could scan them.
  • Wilko likes this

look up reversitol v2 do you even know what that is. go to hell idiots i'm going to medical school

#2 njd84

njd84

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

awesome. I like reading this stuff but sometimes I have no clue what they are talking about.

#3 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Sundrk, if you cannot get a FT feel free to use me as a back up as well. I have access to a fairly large collection of journals.

The Prohormone Podcast - www.prohormonepodcast.com/
Advanced Muscle Science & ForeRunner Labs

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#4 Strive6

Strive6

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

I have accounts at 2 different Universities, neither of which give me access to these 3 papers:

L. Shah, Neeral, Isabel Zacharias, Urmila Khettry, Nezam Afdhal, and Fredric D. Gordon.” Methasteron-Associated Cholestatic Liver Injury: Clinicopathologic Findings in 5 Cases.” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 6.2 (2008): 255-258.

Recent advances in the development of selective androgen receptor modulators.
Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2009 Sep;19(9):1239-58.
Zhang X, Lanter JC, Sui Z.

Therapeutic potential of the SARMs: revisiting the androgen receptor for drug discovery.
Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006 Apr;15(4):377-87.
Segal S, Narayanan R, Dalton JT.

The Dienol-Benzene Rearrangement.1 Some Chemistry of 1,4-Androstadiene-3,17-dione
Margaret Jevnik Gentles, Jane B. Moss, Hershel L. Herzog, E. B. Hershberg
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1958, 80 (14), pp 3702-3705
DOI: 10.1021/ja01547a058
Publication Date: July 1958

As mentioned here.

ingentaconnect The general dienol : benzene rearrangement of ring A of the stero...

sent those to you

#5 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

Do you guys have access to this one?

Copyright © 2000 Academic Press. All rights reserved.
Permissions & Reprints

Regular Article
Glutamate-loading Stimulates Metabolic Flux and Improves Cell Recovery Following Chemical Hypoxia in Isolated Cardiomyocyte*1

This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

Helen Williams, Nicola King, Elinor J. Griffiths and M. -Saadeh Suleiman

Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS2 8HW, UK

Received 9 May 2001; accepted 11 September 2001. ; Available online 26 February 2002.

Abstract
The amino acid glutamate is used in cardioplegic solutions, yet evidence is conflicting as to whether or not exogenous glutamate is indeed cardioprotective. This controversy may be because increasing extracellular glutamate does not necessarily lead to an increase in intracellular glutamate. In this study we aimed to determine whether isolation of myocytes in the presence of glutamate resulted in glutamate-loading of the cells, and, if so, whether such loading protected myocytes from simulated (chemical) hypoxia. Single ventricular myocytes were isolated from rat hearts in the presence and absence of 6.4 m glutamate. Levels of glutamate and ATP were determined using HPLC, and NADH/NAD+was determined from cell autofluorescence. Chemical hypoxia was induced by superfusion with a solution containing 2.5 m cyanide and no glucose. Intracellular [Ca2+] was measured by loading cells with indo-1, and cell length was measured using an edge-tracking device. Isolation of myocytes in the presence of glutamate resulted in increased intracellular glutamate levels compared with cells isolated in the absence of glutamate, 1324±108 v 948±124 pmol/mg protein, respectively (P<0.05). Cells loaded with glutamate showed increased NADH/NAD+, (0.384±0.032v 0.281±0.029, P<0.05) and greater ATP levels (36.031±1.633 nmol/mg protein v 19.279±3.327 nmol/mg protein, P<0.005) compared to control cells. When subjected to chemical hypoxia, cells underwent rigor-contracture at various timepoints, and were then reperfused following 5 min in rigor. Cells loaded with glutamate showed better recovery of diastolic [Ca2+], Ca2+transient amplitude, and improved contractile function compared with cells isolated in absence of glutamate. This study demonstrates an efficient method for loading myocytes with glutamate during cell isolation, and myocytes loaded with glutamate showed increased metabolic flux, as indexed by a higher NADH/NAD+and ATP content. Myocytes also exhibited better recovery from chemical hypoxia in terms of both Ca2+handling and cell contraction.

Author Keywords: Cardiomyocytes; Chemical hypoxia; Glutamate; Amino acid metabolism; Intracellular calcium; Contractile function; NADH.

*1 Please address all correspondence to: Dr M.-S. Suleiman, Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW. Tel: 0117-9283519; Fax: 0117-9299737;E-mail: M.S.Suleiman@bristol.ac.uk

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#6 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

This one too please...

J Steroid Biochem. 1990 Aug 28;36(6):603-8.

Ethanol-induced inhibition of testosterone biosynthesis in rat Leydig cells: central role of mitochondrial NADH redox state.
Orpana AK, Orava MM, Vihko RK, Härkönen M, Eriksson CJ.

Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Meilahti Hospital, Finland.

Abstract
The mechanisms by which ethanol (EtOH) inhibits the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)-stimulated testosterone synthesis was studied in isolated rat Leydig cells in vitro. EtOH inhibited steroidogenesis, but this inhibition was reversed by L-glutamate (Glu) and an uncoupler of the oxidative phosphorylation, 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP). The mechanism of EtOH-induced inhibition was studied by measuring steroidogenic precursors and comparing them with the cytosolic and mitochondrial NADH redox states during uncoupling or in the presence of Glu. DNP had a dual effect. Low concentrations abolished the EtOH-induced inhibition of progesterone to testosterone formation suggesting that the inhibitory step was at or before progesterone formation. A large concentration led to an overall decrease in steroidogenesis indicating toxic effects on steroidogenesis. The mitochondrial NADH/NAD+ ratio, measured as the 3-hydroxybutyrate/acetoacetate ratio, decreased simultaneously when steroidogenesis was stimulated, either during uncoupling or in the presence of Glu, whereas cytosolic NADH/NAD+ ratio, measured as lactate/pyruvate ratio showed no response. These results demonstrate that the rise in the mitochondrial NADH/NAD+ ratio rather than in the cytosolic one is connected with the inhibition of testosterone synthesis by EtOH in isolated Leydig cells. The EtOH-induced high mitochondrial NADH/NAD+ ratio may deplete mitochondrial oxalacetate concentrations. This can decrease the activity of several transport shuttles and interrupt the flow of mitochondrial citrate into the smooth endoplasmic reticulum, which then reflects to decreased rate of steroidogenesis in the presence of ethanol.

PMID: 2214777 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#7 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

lol I cant get shit I want today, one moar:

Nutrition
Volume 18, Issue 2, February 2002, Pages 130-133

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
doi:10.1016/S0899-9007(01)00767-5 | How to Cite or Link Using DOI
Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Inc. All rights reserved.
Permissions & Reprints

Fourth Oxford glutamine workshop
Relation between glutamine, branched-chain amino acids, and protein metabolism1 , *1

This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

Milan Hole ek MDa, ,

a Department of Physiology, Charles University School of Medicine, Hradec Králové, Czech Republic

Available online 6 February 2002.

Abstract
The branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs; valine, isoleucine, and leucine) are the major nitrogen source for glutamine and alanine synthesis in muscle. Synthesis of glutamine, alanine, and BCAA use is activated in critical illnesses such as in sepsis, cancer, and trauma. The use of glutamine often exceeds its synthesis, resulting in the lack of glutamine in plasma and tissues. In critical illness, resynthesis of BCAA from branched-chain keto acids is activated, particularly in hepatic tissue. The BCAA released to circulation may be used for protein synthesis or synthesis of alanine and glutamine. Glutamine and/or alanine infusion has an inhibitory effect on the breakdown of body proteins and decreases BCAA catabolism in postabsorptive control, endotoxemic, and irradiated rats. Decreased protein breakdown also was observed when glutamine synthesis was activated by ammonia infusion. In conclusion some favorable effects of BCAA supply can be explained by its role in the synthesis of glutamine and some positive effects of glutamine exogenous supply can be explained by its effect on metabolism of BCAA.

Author Keywords: branched-chain amino acids; glutamine; alanine; protein metabolism

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#8 Strive6

Strive6

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

edit: taken down

Edited by Strive6, 10 March 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#9 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Couldn't get the second one, but I got the other two. I'll be taking these down by tomorrow just to let you know

Thanks. Actually got the third. You're welcome to take them down now.

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#10 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of resveratrol analogues as aromatase and quinone reductase 2 inhibitors for chemoprevention of cancer

http://rapidshare.co...Res_Analogs.pdf
  • henryv likes this

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#11 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

It was pretty interesting (though mostly way above my level of understanding). All the analogues are synthetic though, so I guess unless they manage to find some naturally occurring analogues that have the same properties (like increased aromatase inhibition) we can't expect to see them in a supp anytime soon (due to DSHEA legislation).

Do you know how the IC50 values on the analogs compare to things like letro and aromasin?

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#12 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

Cool, was just curious as to whether they would be too strong or comparable. Appear to be similar though.

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#13 Anvil

Anvil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Can someone get me the full text of these three articles?

Much appreciated.

Attached Files

#14 Young JD

Young JD

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Can you get the full article on facile Synthesis Of crysin Derivatives with promising Activities as aromatase inhibitors haven't learn't how to post links yet

#15 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

ScienceDirect - Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology (Sixth Edition) : The Synthesis and Metabolism of Steroid Hormones

Good read. PM me your email??

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#16 brymaster

brymaster

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

ANABOLIC-ANDROGENIC ACTIVITY OF A-RING MODIFIED ANDROSTANE DERIVATIVES. -- Nutting et al. 53 (4): 635 -- Acta Endocrinologica

It's no surprise the 1-methyl derivative exerted the highest Q ratio. The 1-methyl group seems to be consistent in its androgenic reducing and anabolic activity increasing behavior; At least in the androstane steroids. It's one of the few substituents that's the least bit predictable.
Contributor @ www.totalflexblog.com
blog.priceplow.com

Antaeus Rep

#17 Clobbersaurus

Clobbersaurus

Apex Predator

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Can anyone you either of these:
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2007 Jun;7(2):125-40. Links
Readjusting the glucocorticoid balance: an opportunity for modulators of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 activity?Atanasov AG, Odermatt A.
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Clinical Research, University of Berne, Freiburgstrasse 15, 3010 Berne, Switzerland.

Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Nov;15(9):418-24. Links
11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 as a modulator of glucocorticoid action: from metabolism to memory.Seckl JR, Walker BR.
Endocrinology Unit, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK.

Thanks in advance.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."- Friedrich Nietzsche
“What the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve and those who stay will be champions.” - Bo Schembechler
"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Hotlz

#18 henryv

henryv

Mr. Picky Pants

• Super Moderators
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

Heterocyclic steroids. 2. Synthesis and androgenic activity of A-ring oxaandrostanes - Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (ACS Publications)

330tqur.jpg

#19 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Readjusting the glucocorticoid balance: an opportunity for modulators of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 activity?Atanasov AG, Odermatt A.
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Clinical Research, University of Berne, Freiburgstrasse 15, 3010 Berne, Switzerland.

11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 as a modulator of glucocorticoid action: from metabolism to memory.Seckl JR, Walker BR.
Endocrinology Unit, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the first one via rapidshare:

https://rapidshare.c...oid_balance.pdf

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#20 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thanks in advance.

And here's the second one:

https://rapidshare.c...coid_action.pdf

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#21 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

ANABOLIC-ANDROGENIC ACTIVITY OF A-RING MODIFIED ANDROSTANE DERIVATIVES. -- Nutting et al. 53 (4): 635 -- Acta Endocrinologica

Creatinol O-phosphate (COP) and muscular performan... [Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 1975] - PubMed result

Heterocyclic steroids. 2. Synthesis and androgenic activity of A-ring oxaandrostanes - Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (ACS Publications)

Sorry man checked all of these on two large university databases and nothing. These older ones are hard to get.

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#22 henryv

henryv

Mr. Picky Pants

• Super Moderators
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Sorry man checked all of these on two large university databases and nothing. These older ones are hard to get.

Negged for helping Cliterosaurus and not me.

330tqur.jpg

#23 henryv

henryv

Mr. Picky Pants

• Super Moderators
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

ScienceDirect - Steroids : Effects of various 17α-alkyl substitutions and structural modifications of steroids on sulfo broiophthalein (BSP) retention in rabbits

330tqur.jpg

#24 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Couldnt get that one but this related one may be of interest:

Relative effects of 17-alpha-alkylated anabolic steroids on sulfobromophthalein (BSP) retention in rabbits.

https://rapidshare.c...in_rabbits..pdf
  • henryv likes this

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#25 smt11

smt11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

ScienceDirect - Steroids : Effects of various 17α-alkyl substitutions and structural modifications of steroids on sulfo broiophthalein (BSP) retention in rabbits

Deposit Files
  • henryv likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users