• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 henryv

henryv

Mr. Picky Pants

• Super Moderators
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

D-Serine is an amino acid that serves as a key regulator in the formation of memories. It is synthesized in types of brain cells called astrocytes, and its production is essential in the process of long term potentiation. Long term potentiation is a process wherein neurological pathways are enhanced in response to certain environmental stimuli – in other words it is the process by which long term memories are consolidated in the brain.

Administration of D-Serine leads to accumulation of the amino acid in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus.
These are areas of the brain involved in memory consolidation, and D-Serine acts via NMDA receptors on neurons in these areas. Administration of D-Serine to animals has been demonstrated to enhance learning and working memory.

Prototype Nutrition's D-Serine powder can be used to optimize the brain's ability to learn and recall complex functions and may be a valuable asset to students, workers or anyone who may have to process or memorize difficult material.

330tqur.jpg

#2 Mike_RN

Mike_RN

I Shit You Not

• Members
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Is this any different than old fashioned "Phosphatidylserine" (PS) supplementation?
*Mike_RN is a licensed professional. However you should always consult your physician before embarking on any diet, supplement and/or exercise regimen.

"Daj dobrą broń mieć, a nigdy jej nie użyć".

-Grant me a good sword and no use for it.

#3 darmok

darmok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I wonder if this could help counter some of the negative cognitive effects associated with medication for epilepsy, and perhaps the negative cognitive effects of the seizures themselves?

#4 dANIMAL11

dANIMAL11

Antaeus Labs Rep

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Sounds very interesting. Do the effects continue to increase with higher dosages? Or do we haw a threshold where we get diminishing returns as dosage is increased?

Antaeus Labs Rep

#5 Roun3er

Roun3er

• Knowledgable User
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Is this any different than old fashioned "Phosphatidylserine" (PS) supplementation?

Ah, PS, one of the most under rated supplements in the industry IMO.

PHF Supplements Rep

http://www.phfsupplements.com

#6 Roun3er

Roun3er

• Knowledgable User
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

D-Serine is an amino acid that serves as a key regulator in the formation of memories. It is synthesized in types of brain cells called astrocytes, and its production is essential in the process of long term potentiation. Long term potentiation is a process wherein neurological pathways are enhanced in response to certain environmental stimuli - in other words it is the process by which long term memories are consolidated in the brain.

Administration of D-Serine leads to accumulation of the amino acid in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus.
These are areas of the brain involved in memory consolidation, and D-Serine acts via NMDA receptors on neurons in these areas. Administration of D-Serine to animals has been demonstrated to enhance learning and working memory.

Prototype Nutrition's D-Serine powder can be used to optimize the brain's ability to learn and recall complex functions and may be a valuable asset to students, workers or anyone who may have to process or memorize difficult material.

And keep you sane....

Decreased serum levels of D-serine in pa... [Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

PHF Supplements Rep

#7 BigCLS

BigCLS

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Ah, PS, one of the most under rated supplements in the industry IMO.

I use it daily great supp.
Everything said by BigCLS is for entertainment purposes and mostly fiction. BigCLS does not condone the use of any drug without the proper prescription from a doctor.

#8 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Here are some studies:[QUOTEPsychopharmacology (Berl). 2011 Dec;218(3):461-70. Epub 2011 May 10.
Effects of low-dose D-serine on recognition and working memory in mice.

Bado P, Madeira C, Vargas-Lopes C, Moulin TC, Wasilewska-Sampaio AP, Maretti L, de Oliveira RV, Amaral OB, Panizzutti R.
Source

Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, CCS, sala F1-03, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro 21941-590, Brazil.

Abstract

RATIONALE:

D -Serine is an endogenous co-agonist of the N-methyl-D: -aspartate (NMDA) receptor and has been suggested to improve cognitive deficits in schizophrenia.

OBJECTIVES:

The present study investigates the effects of treatment with D -serine in mice on tasks that require recognition learning and working memory, two cognitive domains that are impaired in schizophrenia.

METHODS:

We studied the effects of various regimens of systemic administration of D -serine (50 mg/kg/day) on BALB/c mice performing object recognition, T-maze alternation, and open-field exploration tasks. For the object recognition task, we also contrasted the effects of D -serine and D -cycloserine and investigated whether D -serine could reverse alterations induced by subchronic injections of the NMDA antagonist MK-801. D -Serine levels after injections were measured by high-performance liquid chromatography.

RESULTS:

In the object recognition task, pre-training treatment with D -serine or D -cycloserine significantly enhanced recognition memory 24 h after training. A single administration of D -serine 30 min (but not 6 h) after training produced similar enhancement, suggesting an effect on memory consolidation. Daily treatment with D: -serine enhanced both object recognition and T-maze performance over multiple days and improved short-term memory in MK-801-treated mice. D -Serine treatment did not alter open-field exploration. Behavioral effects were accompanied by increased levels of D -serine in the hippocampus of treated animals.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our results show that treatment with D -serine can improve performance in tasks related to recognition learning and working memory, suggesting that this agent can be useful for the treatment of disorders involving declines in these cognitive domains.

PMID:][/QUOTE]

E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Follow me on Twitter @epharmrep

#9 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

and this

Effect of systemic administration of D-serine on the levels of D- and L-serine in several brain areas and periphery of rat.

Hashimoto A, Chiba S.
Source

Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Isehara, Kanagawa 259-1143, Japan. hashimot@is.icc.u-tokai.ac.jp

Erratum in

Eur J Pharmacol. 2004 Oct 19;502(3):273. Chiba, Yukie [corrected to Chiba, Sachie].
Abstract

To obtain further insight into the distribution and metabolism of exogenous D-serine, we have investigated the effect of the intraperitoneal administration of D-serine (10 mmol/kg) on the concentrations of D- and L-serine in several brain areas and periphery of infant and adult rats. The administration produced a significant augmentation of the D-serine levels not only in the cortex but also in the hippocampus, striatum, cerebellum and periphery. The rapid decline in the enhanced D-serine levels was observed in the periphery and cerebellum, whereas the injection caused a prolonged elevation of the D-serine levels in the cortex and hippocampus. The application caused a slight increase in the L-serine levels in several brain areas and periphery 3 or 6 h after the injection, whereas a significant decrease in the L-serine concentration was observed in the periphery, diencephalon and cerebellum 3 or 7 days after the injection. Because a structural abnormality and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor hypofunction has been demonstrated in the cortex and hippocampus of schizophrenic subjects, D-serine treatment may offer a new therapeutic approach to diseases related to the hypofunction of NMDA receptors such as schizophrenia.

Nature. 2010 Jan 14;463(7278):232-6.
Long-term potentiation depends on release of D-serine from astrocytes.
Henneberger C, Papouin T, Oliet SH, Rusakov DA.
Source

UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, UK.
Abstract
Long-term potentiation (LTP) of synaptic transmission provides an experimental model for studying mechanisms of memory. The classical form of LTP relies on N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs), and it has been shown that astroglia can regulate their activation through Ca(2+)-dependent release of the NMDAR co-agonist D-serine. Release of D-serine from glia enables LTP in cultures and explains a correlation between glial coverage of synapses and LTP in the supraoptic nucleus. However, increases in Ca(2+) concentration in astroglia can also release other signalling molecules, most prominently glutamate, ATP and tumour necrosis factor-alpha, whereas neurons themselves can synthesize and supply D-serine. Furthermore, loading an astrocyte with exogenous Ca(2+) buffers does not suppress LTP in hippocampal area CA1 (refs 14-16), and the physiological relevance of experiments in cultures or strong exogenous stimuli applied to astrocytes has been questioned. The involvement of glia in LTP induction therefore remains controversial. Here we show that clamping internal Ca(2+) in individual CA1 astrocytes blocks LTP induction at nearby excitatory synapses by decreasing the occupancy of the NMDAR co-agonist sites. This LTP blockade can be reversed by exogenous D-serine or glycine, whereas depletion of D-serine or disruption of exocytosis in an individual astrocyte blocks local LTP. We therefore demonstrate that Ca(2+)-dependent release of D-serine from an astrocyte controls NMDAR-dependent plasticity in many thousands of excitatory synapses nearby.

E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Follow me on Twitter @epharmrep

#10 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Does it do anything for "focus"? I can get distracted easily.

Also, any significant sides? And can it be stopped abruptly, or should someone taper off of it?

HypertrophyAccelerator.png?version=24076

#11 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Does it do anything for "focus"? I can get distracted easily.

Also, any significant sides? And can it be stopped abruptly, or should someone taper off of it?

it seems to help focus for me

no sides that i have felt or been reported in the human studies done on the stuff

Visit My Blog www.patrickarnoldblog.com

Become a Member of E-Pharm Facebook Page www.facebook.com/epharmnutrition

#12 doluseb

doluseb

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

50 bucks.../cough

#13 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

50 bucks.../cough

its not a cheap amino acid my friend.

http://www.sigmaaldr...ng=en®ion=US

the good stuff is rarely cheap

#14 Hank!

Hank!

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

That site is bogus, it said search for your favorite genes and they don't even sell Levi's

#15 hybridp

hybridp

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Limitless!

right? Does this come in the same cool little contact looking pill? I've been throwing back Acuvue's for months and I haven't gotten any smarter. I imagine this stuff works pretty well if you're selling it...unless I'm wrong that there isn't that much of a market for nootropics in bodybuilding as there are other kinds of products. Like ones that build muscle.

#16 Amax47

Amax47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Any concerns on long term use and neurotoxicity? Over-activation of the NMDA receptor has been charged with causing neuronal death.

Rat study involving endogenous d-serine:
Endogenous d-Serine Is Involved in Induction of Neuronal Death by N-Methyl-d-aspartate and Simulated Ischemia in Rat Cerebrocortical Slices

Btw I don't mean sh*t on your product. Just curious if you have more info on this. There seems to be a lot of good info on this stuff... like the fact that it seems to reverse ethanol-induced calcium influx:

Glycine site-directed agonists reverse the actions of ethanol at the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor.

#17 enlightened one

enlightened one

Blast & Cruise 24/7-365

• Members
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Damn it i need this stuff.Can't you guys ever deliver to Australia even just this product?
''I don't take steroids.I take prohormones and their safe''

Jesus could turn water into wine but could he bench press 200KG?

#18 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Limitless!

right? Does this come in the same cool little contact looking pill? I've been throwing back Acuvue's for months and I haven't gotten any smarter. I imagine this stuff works pretty well if you're selling it...unless I'm wrong that there isn't that much of a market for nootropics in bodybuilding as there are other kinds of products. Like ones that build muscle.

i sell stuff that i think is cool, i dont always analyze whether it fits neatly into a category

#19 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Any concerns on long term use and neurotoxicity? Over-activation of the NMDA receptor has been charged with causing neuronal death.

Rat study involving endogenous d-serine:
Endogenous d-Serine Is Involved in Induction of Neuronal Death by N-Methyl-d-aspartate and Simulated Ischemia in Rat Cerebrocortical Slices

Btw I don't mean sh*t on your product. Just curious if you have more info on this. There seems to be a lot of good info on this stuff... like the fact that it seems to reverse ethanol-induced calcium influx:

Glycine site-directed agonists reverse the actions of ethanol at the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor.

neurotoxicity from NMDA agonists happens when these neurotransmitters are dumped in huge amounts as part of a series of biochemical events in response to events like ischemia

lots of things in this world are helpful at the right amounts and harmful in large amounts

#20 henryv

henryv

Mr. Picky Pants

• Super Moderators
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

lots of things in this world are helpful at the right amounts and harmful in large amounts

Eating too many carrots makes you turn orange (carotenosis).

330tqur.jpg

#21 Roun3er

Roun3er

• Knowledgable User
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Eating too many carrots makes you turn orange (carotenosis).

Posted Image

PHF Supplements Rep

#22 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

omg that is entirely gross

#23 doluseb

doluseb

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

its not a cheap amino acid my friend.

D-Serine ≥98% (TLC) | Sigma-Aldrich

the good stuff is rarely cheap

sigma aldritch is lab grade stuff. I highly doubt that's your source considering its 35 bucks for 5 grams. Granted, this stuff is clearly not cheap, as I'm sure its expensive to isolate the dextro vs the levo. I love nootropics, but 50 bucks is a bit much.

#24 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

sigma aldritch is lab grade stuff. I highly doubt that's your source considering its 35 bucks for 5 grams. Granted, this stuff is clearly not cheap, as I'm sure its expensive to isolate the dextro vs the levo. I love nootropics, but 50 bucks is a bit much.

i was half joking by putting sigma aldrich price info up there.

what WOULD u spend fifty dollars on?

#25 doluseb

doluseb

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

i was half joking by putting sigma aldrich price info up there.

what WOULD u spend fifty dollars on?

nootropic wise, or in general? my first priority as far as your line goes is the Ur spray.
  • henryv likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amino, brain, complex, men, nutrition, powder, production, recall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users