921 replies to this topic

#1 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Going Keto All You Wanted to Know and More

This is going to be a multipurpose thread. I was going to start it sooner. I had gained 25 pounds after the Arnold Classic during a truly nasty bulk. I let myself go further than I should have. I've lost 20 lbs over the last 6 weeks. As I said, I wish I'd started this log sooner and documented with photos etc. I will do that here and will run a mini log on my diet as well as provide tons of useful information, recipes etc to make keto dieting easy. I will also show you there there are benefits over and above fat loss

Patrick Arnold's Blog contains a recent entry about ketosis and I've been intrigued by what it revealed. Not only is the ketogenic diet a great fat loss tool. It is a a cancer fighter too. This among numerous other health and mental benefits. I've been doing much studying on ketosis since then and have decided to make this the go to thread for all things keto. It will be informational...most likely entertaining and will contain recipes and tips to help keep you on the diet and achieving your goals.

Prior Keto Experience

I am not a stranger to Keto dieting. Anyone that has read my UR-Spray log on AM has seen these pics

http://anabolicminds...ew0032.jpg .att

http://anabolicminds...ew0029.jpg .att

Nope the Truth wasn't always sporting a six pack, I used to sport a keg. This is how I looked before I discovered keto. I was a Chubby child. Then when I hit puberty and grew 4 inches in height in one summer. I grew into my weight and never had any trouble until I reached my 30's and got depressed and attempted to eat myself out of it. I was eating a case of tortilla chips a week along side a cafeteria size can of nacho cheese sauce ala Costco. Never mind the 64 oz plus of Coke Classic I consumed on a daily basis.

I tipped the scales at 300+ and had a 40" waist. I tried low fat diets to no avail. I couldn't lose a pound until my boss put me onto the Atkins diet. I lost 100lbs in 2 months. My cholesterol which was 360 prior to the diet plummeted and my hdl's greatly improved. All while drinking heavy cream, eating 2 dozen eggs a day and pounds of ground beef smothered in cheddar bacon and mayo..yes it defies common knowledge...'cuz common knowledge is brainwashing propaganda.

Do I have your interest? Want to lose fat and never be hungry? Want to consume large quantities of meat and cheese, and BACON! without concern. Want to improve your cholesterol while eating all the things that the uninitiated will tell you will raise it?

I will post my current diet and supplement regimen tomorrow as well as some relevant research on ketosis. Stay tuned the Truth is back

Edited by truthornothin, 23 June 2013 - 08:09 PM.

E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Follow me on Twitter @epharmrep

#2 ezjax

ezjax

PHF

• Reps
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Finally someone posts this!! Many health benefits to eating this way.. i am debating it for my last 4 weeks of my current reimen, but i probably should always eat this way.. do you refeed or go keto all day 'err day?

http://www.phfsupplements.com/

* Ezjax is not a doctor. Please do not view any of his posts as medical advice. Ezjax is a fictional character and does not advocate the use of any illegal substances. Ezjax is not real and all posts are only for enertainment. Use your own discretion and do not blame Ezjax for any of your personal choices in life.

#3 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Truth - I'm starting keto again tomorrow. I've had great success with it in the past, but I've been trying other diets. I'm fed up with them and I'm going back to what works. I will be following this!!!

#4 Chaser4life

Chaser4life

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Keto freaking works. Im a personal trainer, every single one of my clients that does keto has amazing results. I myself am on it 70% of the year

#5 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Just had my last carb fest day and my digestive tract is not be happy with me. Lol! I went all out! Probably put down about 4500-5000 calories today and it was NOT healthy.

#6 kimura

kimura

Better than Craigslist

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Is there a strightforward easy to understand way to implement this with examples?

#7 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Is there a straight forward easy to understand way to implement this with examples?

Yes, I am glad to see the interest. I am going to put a lot of time into this one I will have easy to follow examples as it isn't really all that hard to do. I am also going to include much of the science involved in a layman friendly way. Stay tuned and understand the Truth has a day job.

#8 roydaily

roydaily

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

For anyone who says theses diets are unhealthy:

"Despite its temporary side effects, we have always suspected that the ketogenic diet is relatively safe long term, and we now have proof," says senior investigator Eric Kossoff, M.D., a pediatric neurologist and director of the ketogenic diet program at Hopkins Children's. "Our study should help put to rest some of the nagging doubts about the long-term safety of the ketogenic diet," he adds.

High-Fat Ketogenic Diet Is Safe Over Long Term
“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

― Mike Tyson

#9 Tanith

Tanith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yes, I am glad to see the interest. I am going to put a lot of time into this one I will have easy to follow examples as it isn't really all that hard to do. I am also going to include much of the science involved in a layman friendly way. Stay tuned and understand the Truth has a day job.

Excellent timing, was going to start testing keto this week. Look forward to reading your post. :)

#10 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Bah! Excuses, excuses! LOL!

Looking forward to the updates!

#11 Mike_RN

Mike_RN

I Shit You Not

• Members
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Subbed. Never did much keto besides a few CKD cycles years ago. Very interdasted.
*Mike_RN is a licensed professional. However you should always consult your physician before embarking on any diet, supplement and/or exercise regimen.

"Daj dobrą broń mieć, a nigdy jej nie użyć".

-Grant me a good sword and no use for it.

#12 xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

i will be glad to help with this log as well i myself am a body opus fan. ive made the best gainz in my whole life while following duchaines recomendations. combined with todays excellent supplements a keto diet is highly effective. yes u can bulk while on keto ... yes you will feel like a normal human after a couple weeks on a keto diet.. its easy to follow and super fun to see the results come so fast!
:thefuk: Supplement Mercenaries: Reps For Hire!

#13 kimura

kimura

Better than Craigslist

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I will be staying tuned! Regarding the day job, the mind works better when multi-tasking :D, seriously though I think it's great you brought this up. The human body is fascinating. To a healthy life!

#14 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I can see by all the interest already that this was a good idea. I look forward to the discussion and information exchange.

#15 Mike_RN

Mike_RN

I Shit You Not

• Members
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

The biggest fear I've had about committing to ketogenic diet is the lack of "brain food" for the week(s) when your body is adjusting to burning ketones. I know the brain CAN work at high capacity running off nothing but ketones. However, I always get a case of the stupids for a week or so early on. It's one thing to zone out a little in retail, its a lot more dangerous to be "fuzzy" in a bumpin Emergency Dept.
I am going to ME on vacation in late July, maybe I could time the "stoopids" week around vacation?
*Mike_RN is a licensed professional. However you should always consult your physician before embarking on any diet, supplement and/or exercise regimen.

#16 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I've never really had that problem. I may feel like I'm a little run down for a few days, but my cognitive function doesn't seem to be affected all that much. Perhaps, I'm just special. Or maybe I'm fooling myself.

#17 Mike_RN

Mike_RN

I Shit You Not

• Members
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Being old prolly doesn't help either :)
  • Jcc likes this

#18 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Keto Diet Essentials
Getting Started

The hardest part of nearly endeavor is getting started. The keto diet is no exception. I’ll try to make this simple. All you keto aficionados don’t but my chops. This is my own interpretation and works for me I am sure there are numerous others. But I promise you if you follow this you will get results.

Essentials:
In my opinion these are the essentials for getting started on the diet. There are numerous other aids that I'll recommend later but these are the bare bone must haves

1. Keto Test Strips- in my opinion this one is non negotiable. This is the simplest method to tell if the diet is working. If they are pink are purple, you are in ketosis. If they are tan you aren’t. With a few exceptions(very dilute urine) its just that simple. You can guess all you want. You can think you are going so low in carbs that you must be in ketosis. Been there many times myself only to find, after testing my urine, that I was not. You can get them at Wal-Mart in the Diabetes section of the pharmacy. I have used their brand and they work though I am not a fan. I get mine at CVS for roughly 10 bucks per 100. I use them daily.

2. Carb Counter- Available online or at any book store. Don’t guess, KNOW!

3. Food Scale- Starting at about $15 They are a good investment. Most folks have no clue what a serving size is. I measure everything in grams and it makes dieting any kind of dieting much more efficient and scientific. Trust me you’ll be stunned how small a serving really is.

4. Control- Get the carby foods out of your house. Give them away trash them. What ever it takes. If you don’t have it you cannot eat it. You’ll be stunned how little carbs it takes to know you out of ketosis especially at first.

5. Read Lables- It is absolutely essential that you read all your labels. You’ll be surprised how many meat products contain carbs and sugars in the form of fillers. There is sugar in almost everything. It makes shopping a tad more involved but you have to do it.

6. Food- A selection of meats, poulty, eggs and cheese. Make sure to stock up on a variety of meat, so as not to get bored. Eggs and most seafood and fish are ok though some shell fish contain appreciable amounts of carbs. Again read the labels. Bacon is a great benefit to this diet. Just make sure its not sugar cured. This diet is not for vegans nor vegetarians. This is a diet for carnivores

7. Coconut Oil / MCT Oil- This has been a recent addition to my keto dieting and I now consider it a must. I’ll get into why later. Trust me on this one. E-Pharm has a top notch coconut oil and I recommend it highly. I take one tablespoon twice daily and use it in my cooking also.

There are other things we’ll discuss later but this is the essential list. Next installment I’ll recommend some supplements that will assist and most likely my first log entry regarding my own diet and training.

Edited by truthornothin, 24 June 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#19 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

The biggest fear I've had about committing to ketogenic diet is the lack of "brain food" for the week(s) when your body is adjusting to burning ketones. I know the brain CAN work at high capacity running off nothing but ketones. However, I always get a case of the stupids for a week or so early on. It's one thing to zone out a little in retail, its a lot more dangerous to be "fuzzy" in a bumpin Emergency Dept.
I am going to ME on vacation in late July, maybe I could time the "stoopids" week around vacation?

Sometimes you can become a little sluggish and foggy during at the outset of the diet. However once in ketosis your brain actually works better on ketones than carbs. That is one of the many benefits of the diet. Try using 1 tablespoon of coconut oil during the induction phase(to be explained later) and it should help ease you into it with a minimal amount of fog.
  • Mike_RN likes this

#20 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Being old prolly doesn't help either :)

No it does not. Ketosis should actually aid that situation though

#21 kimura

kimura

Better than Craigslist

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Truth, thanks for getting this going, and before I forget, that is one hell of a transformation you made!

I want to understand the principle(s) behind this diet, and what I am understanding is that this is removing carbs vs a caloric restriction + reduced\eliminating carbs, or is this zero carbs and keep your maintenance calories +\- depending on if you are wanting to add mass or fat loss?

Are we talking zero carbs, and including healthy fats, or reduced carbs less than X amount per day e.g. I eat lots of spinach daily with eggs and a zero carb protein shake with water, and mct oil.

#22 xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

MCTs /coco-oil convert to ketones much more easily than regular fats.. they also help to take away the brain fog mike_rn
give them a shot im sure you will agree it helps alot and gives u a good boost of energy.

#23 xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Truth, thanks for getting this going, and before I forget, that is one hell of a transformation you made!

I want to understand the principle(s) behind this diet, and what I am understanding is that this is removing carbs vs a caloric restriction + reduced\eliminating carbs, or is this zero carbs and keep your maintenance calories +\- depending on if you are wanting to add mass or fat loss?

Are we talking zero carbs, and including healthy fats, or reduced carbs less than X amount per day e.g. I eat lots of spinach daily with eggs and a zero carb protein shake with water, and mct oil.

most keto diets try to limit the carb intake to under 50 g per day.. the less the better for getting into ketosis ... but once ketosis is achieved a guy can play with the numbers as long as your testing as u try to figure out a max intake.. some guys can hit 90 g a day and stay in keto.. i myself have to keep it under 60 g ... frankly tho.. its my stance that its just plain easier to NOT deal with counting carbs.. if u stick to the shopping list outlined abouve you will only be getting trace amounts in each food type.. once im ketoed i like to have taco salads and bacon tacos.. so its not hard to live with but ur hormones will try to get u to derail at every turn for a couple weeks time .. after wich its the simplest diet know to man..

#24 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

most keto diets try to limit the carb intake to under 50 g per day.. the less the better for getting into ketosis ... but once ketosis is achieved a guy can play with the numbers as long as your testing as u try to figure out a max intake.. some guys can hit 90 g a day and stay in keto.. i myself have to keep it under 60 g ... frankly tho.. its my stance that its just plain easier to NOT deal with counting carbs.. if u stick to the shopping list outlined abouve you will only be getting trace amounts in each food type.. once im ketoed i like to have taco salads and bacon tacos.. so its not hard to live with but ur hormones will try to get u to derail at every turn for a couple weeks time .. after wich its the simplest diet know to man..

I would add they you do still need to pay attention to calorie amount as well depending on your needs.

#25 kimura

kimura

Better than Craigslist

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

I think I have been doing this then as I limit\eliminate all carbs during the 5 day work week while eating veggies, eggs, and steaks.
The weekend is a where I consume more food i.e. Carbup before my workouts,and after my workouts, but then again I am lifting from Friday - Sunday.

What are the gains like, and how should that be manipulated to still be in ketosis? Without sounding stupid, I know caloric surplus typically = muscle gain, but how should that be structured?
I just tried consuming 70grams protein from my shake for post workout mixed with water over the weekend, and want to be sure the timing is optimal for muscle gain.

A taco salad sounds damn tasty! I have some cans of Old Elpaso refried beans, but thats pretty high in carbs (relatively speaking) and I will eat a whole can with onions, and cheese, so it may be best for me to keep it at trace amounts of carbs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users