• Please log in to reply
921 replies to this topic

#51 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

I've heard this and I know that I feel better once ketosis has set in. I wonder if it helps lipids while on AAS...

Lol! It comes early for everyone no matter the time zone. You train in the morning? I'll be up at 430. How do you do your meals?

Yes I train starved in the AM, I take a tablespoon of coconut oil and about 20 grams of EAA's preworkout. I am usually in the gym by 4:45 am

E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Follow me on Twitter @epharmrep

#52 spinyvegeta

spinyvegeta

PHF Rep

• Reps
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

This could be a dumb a question. What about ground turkey and chicken?

#53 tiesthatbind

tiesthatbind

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have had zero carbs for three days now. I actually feel completely satisfied as far as hunger. It's a weird feeling eating tons of fat like this... Anyways, keeping up the cardio and also running some T3.

#54 Domenic

Domenic

Chub Life

• Reps
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

The only thing that really scares me about Keto is the inevitable rebound when you stop. I know it's supposed to be a lifestyle, but if I wanted to utilize it only to break through a plateau, or look my best and driest... as soon as I go back to my normal diet (which is only 100g/ day) I gain that water back, lose definition, and the number plays games with my head. I guess in my situation I'd only be able to use keto to ramp up to a really important day where I want to look my best, peak, then stop and gain the water back.

Celtic Labs Rep

#55 tiesthatbind

tiesthatbind

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Good to go, no carbs.

#56 tiesthatbind

tiesthatbind

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

The only thing that really scares me about Keto is the inevitable rebound when you stop. I know it's supposed to be a lifestyle, but if I wanted to utilize it only to break through a plateau, or look my best and driest... as soon as I go back to my normal diet (which is only 100g/ day) I gain that water back, lose definition, and the number plays games with my head. I guess in my situation I'd only be able to use keto to ramp up to a really important day where I want to look my best, peak, then stop and gain the water back.

Maybe it is just my head playing with me, but I feel very flat as of right now. My thought was that because all the glycogen is depleted from my muscles, naturally they would look flatter. Then once the Desired fat is lost, return to normal diet and have the glycogen refill, making the muscle more fuller. In working on the same idea of how you never look as good as you do on steroids when your off them because of this reason. I could be wrong, but that is what I gathered from it.

#57 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Maybe it is just my head playing with me, but I feel very flat as of right now. My thought was that because all the glycogen is depleted from my muscles, naturally they would look flatter. Then once the Desired fat is lost, return to normal diet and have the glycogen refill, making the muscle more fuller. In working on the same idea of how you never look as good as you do on steroids when your off them because of this reason. I could be wrong, but that is what I gathered from it.

You will lose some fullness initially, but it comes back when your body makes the switch to full ketosis. Just give it time.

#58 ASFh32

ASFh32

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I love the way I look both mid keto and on carb up days. Mid keto Im all fuck yeah bitches look how dry and ripped I am. Then on carb up days I'm all fuck yeah bitches I'm fucking hyuuge with pumps galore. Being pumped up huge as shit makes me not care about the slightest loss in definition.

Either way I know I'm making fat loss progress. I don't give a shit what my scale says cause I carbed up.

#59 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have had zero carbs for three days now. I actually feel completely satisfied as far as hunger. It's a weird feeling eating tons of fat like this... Anyways, keeping up the cardio and also running some T3.

There is research that shows ketosis does in fact reduce appetite.

#60 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Turkey chicken and all poultry are carb free. All animal flesh is carb free with the exception of shellfish, some of which do contain some carbs and it would be safer to avoid during induction but should be ok during maintenance. So eat your squirrel and possum, deer buffalo whatever meat suits you

#61 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

There should not be a rebound. If you start eating carbs again, there will be some water gain but it should mostly be intra musclar. The object of the keto is to get rid of the fat, and reveal the underlying muscle You will not regain that fat after you stop unless you are eating a calorie surplus. There may be some sodium levels issues that are at play here

#62 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

When I first go on it my muscles feel sallow and limp. Its a tad unerving at first but Muscle Addict is correct. Fullness comes back, not to the fully carbed level but it comes back. UR-Spray and Pump Spray, help with that aspect. The bring the fullness back. I am not certain of the mechanism but I can assure you that they work.

#63 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

I love the way I look both mid keto and on carb up days. Mid keto Im all fuck yeah bitches look how dry and ripped I am. Then on carb up days I'm all fuck yeah bitches I'm fucking hyuuge with pumps galore. Being pumped up huge as shit makes me not care about the slightest loss in definition.

Either way I know I'm making fat loss progress. I don't give a shit what my scale says cause I carbed up.

I never care about the scale its the mirror and the tape measure that concern me. I don't like the up and down of carbing up and then completely dropping them to go back into ketosis. I like the steady even energy if continued ketosis. No crash no burn. I have been fortunate this go around to have been privy to one of Patrick Arnold's soon to be released products Triacetyladenosine. Its included in Pump Spray and works well topically. But orally it provides amazing pumps.When carbed up they are near skin splitting. Even with heavy weights and low reps. In a carb depleted stated the pumps are very satisfying and obvious with the TAA . Patrick and I or thus far the only human subjects. I literally beg for them to send it to me.

#64 Guest_MuscleAddict83_*

Guest_MuscleAddict83_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

What's your thoughts on small amounts of fruit eaten throughout the day as long as your carb intake is low enough?

I've always thought it to be ok and haven't had any issues wih staying in ketosis in the past as log as my carb intake is no more than 40-50g.

#65 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Here are some more foods and condiments that can be used during the induction phase.

Mayonaise-read label some contain some sugars. Avoid those. Here in the south the go to is Dukes, no carbs

Mustard- no carbs concentrated flavor

Thermogenesauce- My friend Matt makes this, do yourself a favor and try this one, also provides some fat loss activity...its delicious I mix it with mayo and its a great dip/spread for nearly anything

Butter- makes everything delicious

Nathans Hot Dogs- These are all meat no fillers good with the mustard and Thermogenesauce

Taramasalata By Krinos- this is a Greek fish egg spread it is delicious and I eat it on pork rinds, probably the only person on this planet to do so...unless some one else adopts it.

Egg Salad- Hard boiled eggs mayo mustard salt and pepper Dash of Thermogenesauce even better

Crystal and or Franks Hotsauce- Adds flavor without carbs

Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute- this stuff makes everything taste better ...

Sweet treat- Sugar Free Jello- there is some debate on whether or not Sucralose(Splenda) will prevent ketosis so I tested the theory this week an had a lot. Keto Stix are purple so I am stating its ok IMHO. If you have a sweet tooth that is the way to satisfy it.

That should give you a few things to keep it bearable, feel free to share your own. Maybe tomorrow I 'll post a couple of my ownn low carb recipes for your perusal

Edited by truthornothin, 25 June 2013 - 08:02 PM.

• thepunisher000 likes this

#66 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

What's your thoughts on small amounts of fruit eaten throughout the day as long as your carb intake is low enough?

I've always thought it to be ok and haven't had any issues wih staying in ketosis in the past as log as my carb intake is no more than 40-50g.

After the initiation stage it may be ok, but sugars even fruit sugars are going to knock you out of ketosis quicker than anything. Strawberries and blueberries will probably your best bet. Best advice is to add it little by little and monitor your keto sticks when that cease to change color back off the fruit.

I prefer to get all my carbs from nutrient dense low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, kale spinach etc. Most nutritional gains for your carb buck

#67 jack3dup

jack3dup

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

When I first go on it my muscles feel sallow and limp. Its a tad unerving at first but Muscle Addict is correct. Fullness comes back, not to the fully carbed level but it comes back. UR-Spray and Pump Spray, help with that aspect. The bring the fullness back. I am not certain of the mechanism but I can assure you that they work.

I believe mct oil also helps with muscle fullness on keto but not 100%

#68 Chaser4life

Chaser4life

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Here are some more foods and condiments that can be used during the induction phase.

Mayonaise-read label some contain some sugars. Avoid those. Here in the south the go to is Dukes, no carbs

Mustard- no carbs concentrated flavor

Thermogenesauce- My friend Matt makes this, do yourself a favor and try this one, also provides some fat loss activity...its delicious I mix it with mayo and its a great dip/spread for nearly anything

Butter- makes everything delicious

Nathans Hot Dogs- These are all meat no fillers good with the mustard and Thermogenesauce

Taramasalata By Krinos- this is a Greek fish egg spread it is delicious and I eat it on pork rinds, probably the only person on this planet to do so...unless some one else adopts it.

Egg Salad- Hard boiled eggs mayo mustard salt and pepper Dash of Thermogenesauce even better

Crystal and or Franks Hotsauce- Adds flavor without carbs

Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute- this stuff makes everything taste better ...

Sweet treat- Sugar Free Jello- there is some debate on whether or not Sucralose(Splenda) will prevent ketosis so I tested the theory this week an had a lot. Keto Stix are purple so I am stating its ok IMHO. If you have a sweet tooth that is the way to satisfy it.

That should give you a few things to keep it bearable, feel free to share your own. Maybe tomorrow I 'll post a couple of my ownn low carb recipes for your perusal

In my experience, sucralose is the only sweetner that will not kick you out of keto. Mio Fit flavors are awesome to add to water or red bull zeros

#69 squiers007

squiers007

Powerlifter!

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Truthornothin, just curious if you have read any of the work by John Keifer? Carb-nite, and carb backloading?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

#70 xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

is he a blogger type dude? perhaps some links to his stuff? or is he just in print?
:thefuk: Supplement Mercenaries: Reps For Hire!

#71 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients
Hussein M Dashti, MD PhD FICS FACS,1 Thazhumpal C Mathew, MSc PhD FRCPath,4 Talib Hussein, MB ChB,5 Sami K Asfar, MB ChB MD FRCSEd FACS,1 Abdulla Behbahani, MB ChB FRCS FACSI PhD FICS FACS,1 Mousa A Khoursheed, MB ChB FRCS FICS,1 Hilal M Al-Sayer, MD PhD FICS FACS,1 Yousef Y Bo-Abbas, MD FRCPC,2 and Naji S Al-Zaid, BSc PhD3
1Departments of Surgery2Medicine and3Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, and4Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Kuwait University, Safat;5Ministry of Health, Safat, KuwaitCorrespondence: Dr Naji Al-Zaid, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, PO Box 24923, 13110, Safat, Kuwait. Telephone 965-531-9593, fax 965-531-9597, e-mail alzaidnajeee@hotmail.com
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►
Copyright © 2004, Pulsus Group Inc. All rights reserved
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Go to:Abstract.BACKGROUND:
Although various studies have examined the short-term effects of a ketogenic diet in reducing weight in obese patients, its long-term effects on various physical and biochemical parameters are not known.
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the effects of a 24-week ketogenic diet (consisting of 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g/kg body weight protein, 20% saturated fat, and 80% polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat) in obese patients.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
In the present study, 83 obese patients (39 men and 44 women) with a body mass index greater than 35 kg/m2, and high glucose and cholesterol levels were selected. The body weight, body mass index, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood sugar, urea and creatinine levels were determined before and after the administration of the ketogenic diet. Changes in these parameters were monitored after eight, 16 and 24 weeks of treatment.
RESULTS:
The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant.
CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.
Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

Intersting study showing some of the health benefits of long term ketosis

#72 tvhatic

tvhatic

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Here is a study to back up my assumption that my endurance will not flag as log as I am in continued ketosis and supplement properly.

This is the abstract

For the full article go here Ketogenic diets and physical performance

The study you quoted concludes with this: "with the one caveat that anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics."

True, the studies you are showing conclude that long term endurance exercise (ie - running long distances - or aerobic energy production) is not limited by lack of CHO. This is not surprising, endurance exercise mainly uses the krebs cycle for energy anyway, which fat being the best source for this.

#73 tvhatic

tvhatic

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

However once in ketosis your brain actually works better on ketones than carbs. That is one of the many benefits of the diet.

Quite a claim. Have a published study to back this up, not related to preventing seizures for people with epilepsy?
Also, blood glucose levels are somewhat maintained for a reason (part of which is to provide some glucose for the brain), even when on low carb diets. Your body does this by breaking down protien stores, as fat cannot be converted to glucose in most cases.

#74 Domenic

Domenic

Chub Life

• Reps
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

So on a proper KETO... there are still refeeds? I thought that was only CKD. I guess I'd better understand the difference.

I thought Keto was just no carbs, ever.

Celtic Labs Rep

#75 spinyvegeta

spinyvegeta

PHF Rep

• Reps
  • 8,522 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have a few questionables. The sweetner aspartame, and dark chocolate baking chips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users