THE TRUTH ABOUT KETO - Its more than a diet its a lifestyle

• Please log in to reply
867 replies to this topic

#851 AbercrombieStud

AbercrombieStud

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the response, extremely helpful. These were my suspicions, I just always need a second opinion. Take care.

• NoPainNoGain42 likes this
True Protein Discount Code: THS151

#852 AbercrombieStud

AbercrombieStud

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Has anyone ever tried a CKD or Keto diet with strictly MCT or Coconut Oil?

#853 AbercrombieStud

AbercrombieStud

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

BUMP ANYONE?

#854 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'm sure some have but it would be foolish to do so. What's your objective?

I don't recommend that. You should get a variety of fats in your diet for optimum health. Despite virgin coconut oil being loaded w health attinutes, you are still missing out on MANY other health benefits other fats offer.

Mono's and EFA's are VERY important for total health.

What you are asking is akin to someone getting ALL their protein from Whey. Makes no sense. Sure, it's a great source of protein but you're missing out on other factors and cofactors one attains by eating a balanced diet consisting of a variety of protein, fat and carb choices (if you're a carb guy).

It's like eating ONLY spinach and thinking you're getting all your greens in. NO, you would not be. Sure, spinach is better than Cheetos but you need variety!!!

#855 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

I'm sure some have but it would be foolish to do so. What's your objective?

I don't recommend that. You should get a variety of fats in your diet for optimum health. Despite virgin coconut oil being loaded w health attinutes, you are still missing out on MANY other health benefits other fats offer.

Mono's and EFA's are VERY important for total health.

What you are asking is akin to someone getting ALL their protein from Whey. Makes no sense. Sure, it's a great source of protein but you're missing out on other factors and cofactors one attains by eating a balanced diet consisting of a variety of protein, fat and carb choices (if you're a carb guy).

It's like eating ONLY spinach and thinking you're getting all your greens in. NO, you would not be. Sure, spinach is better than Cheetos but you need variety!!!

I would not recommend only using MCT's or Coconut oils. Saturated fats are very important to your body. You absolutely need them for brain function, hormone function etc. I try to make my diet as varied as possible within the constraints of maintaining ketosis.Believe it or not there is an amazing amount of variety possible. 

E-Pharm Nutrition Representative

Follow me on Twitter @epharmrep

#856 ezjax

ezjax

PHF

• Reps
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

still cant get over those abs mcmanus

http://www.phfsupplements.com/

* Ezjax is not a doctor. Please do not view any of his posts as medical advice. Ezjax is a fictional character and does not advocate the use of any illegal substances. Ezjax is not real and all posts are only for enertainment. Use your own discretion and do not blame Ezjax for any of your personal choices in life.

#857 subseagm

subseagm

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

Well I just read this whole thread. I have been trying to figure out if I wanted to do a keto diet and I said WTF- why not?

Stats: 6' 1" 228 lbs and approxiately 16-17% bodyfat

This is actually my third day of keto and I am going to buy some keto strips today to see what they say:

Diet(I am at work in Houston living out of a hotel so it will be hard):

Breakfast- 1 scoop Trutein protein with 1 table spoon extra virgin organic coconut oil - 270 cal    21g protein  19g fat  3g carbs

Coffee with 1 table spoon of coconut oil -    120 cal  14g fat 

Snack 9a.m.- same as breakfast   

Lunch - 3 cans premium yellowfin tuna in olive oil w/1 tbsn of mayo- 760 cal    52g  fat   78g  protein  3g  carbs

Snack 3 p.m. same as breakfast

Dinner- 1 Five Guys Bacon Double Cheeseburger w/lettuce bun     800 cal  62g fat  51g protein  no carbs

6 fish oil pills- 60 calories total wtih 6g fat

I am also taking Orange Triad w/greens powder and Komodo Visceral Response fat burner and Xtend BCAA's after my workout

Total for the day- 2300 calories,  171g  protein,   166g  fat  10 g of carbs

I might also throw in a small handful of almonds each day. I drink at least a gallon of water a day usually much more. 

Does this look ok? So far I have had some loose bowels yesterday and today but nothing too bad. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

#858 Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Well I just read this whole thread. I have been trying to figure out if I wanted to do a keto diet and I said WTF- why not?

Stats: 6' 1" 228 lbs and approxiately 16-17% bodyfat

This is actually my third day of keto and I am going to buy some keto strips today to see what they say:

Diet(I am at work in Houston living out of a hotel so it will be hard):

Breakfast- 1 scoop Trutein protein with 1 table spoon extra virgin organic coconut oil - 270 cal    21g protein  19g fat  3g carbs

Coffee with 1 table spoon of coconut oil -    120 cal  14g fat 

Snack 9a.m.- same as breakfast   

Lunch - 3 cans premium yellowfin tuna in olive oil w/1 tbsn of mayo- 760 cal    52g  fat   78g  protein  3g  carbs

Snack 3 p.m. same as breakfast

Dinner- 1 Five Guys Bacon Double Cheeseburger w/lettuce bun     800 cal  62g fat  51g protein  no carbs

6 fish oil pills- 60 calories total wtih 6g fat

I am also taking Orange Triad w/greens powder and Komodo Visceral Response fat burner and Xtend BCAA's after my workout

Total for the day- 2300 calories,  171g  protein,   166g  fat  10 g of carbs

I might also throw in a small handful of almonds each day. I drink at least a gallon of water a day usually much more. 

Does this look ok? So far I have had some loose bowels yesterday and today but nothing too bad. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Bacon, eggs and cheese are your friends.

You have got to take a fiber suppliment, it is a must.

#859 subseagm

subseagm

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

Yellowsnow-

I was hoping the Orange Triad + Greens plus the fiber from the Trutein would be sufficient. I bought some Keto strips yesterday evening and pissed on one this morning- nothing yet!! This is the start of day 4 for me. 

#860 Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yellowsnow-

I was hoping the Orange Triad + Greens plus the fiber from the Trutein would be sufficient. I bought some Keto strips yesterday evening and pissed on one this morning- nothing yet!! This is the start of day 4 for me. 

Keep in mind that if you are expending a lot of energy all the ketones are being used up and won't be in your piss.

#861 D-575

D-575

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

Alright I need to ask this because this is really messing up my whole approach.  Truth, I'm gonna need you for this.  And all you other keto pros.

I have tried going keto in the past and it has worked pretty well for me.  The longest I was able to maintain was for like 3 weeks I believe.  The lack of energy was really messing me up.  However, I didn't give it my all and didn't employ simple tricks like caffeine for energy.  This was years ago when I attempted this.  Currently, I have ballooned up to a weight that I am miserable with and am determined more than ever to knock this out of the park.  I already know exactly what to do but there are just a couple things that are really messing with me.

1. Fruits

- After years and years and years of trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that eating as much whole foods and non-processed foods is where it's at for my body.  I can eat EXTREMELY clean when I put my mind to it and can deter from temptation.  However, I just cannot imagine giving up fruit, especially berries, bananas, and apples.  How can someone fathom eating so strict but not include fruits in their diet.  I know, the fructose will kick me out of ketosis, but can't there be a compromise?  How does liver glycogen differ from muscle glycogen?  I'm just a little too lazy to look this up so I'm hoping someone can school me on it real quick.  Can I seriously never eat fruits again?  This is madness.  They come from our Earth.  How can I not include something like this in my diet?  It almost seems unorthodox.

2. Oats

- This was practically my ONLY carb source when I was not on a ketogenic diet.  I absolutely love regular steel cut oats and blueberries.  I ate bowls and bowls of it multiple times a day mixed with flaxmeal.  The sustained energy and steady glucose levels throughout the day from this is real.  How can I give this up?  It is a power food.

These two things are mainly what's bothering me right now.  Is it possible to tweak a standard ketogenic diet and make it a TKD where the only carbs I consume are fruits and Powerade/Gatorade 30 minutes before workouts?

The other thing I wanted to ask is, if I go a TKD route, how will I know that all the glycogen from my body is used up so that after my workouts I am back in ketosis?  Is the only way to know this is by using keto strips?  I don't get how a TKD can be done everyday and still induce ketosis on an on-going basis?  Wouldn't I need a day or two to get back into ketosis?

I now understand to a better degree how my body works.  On a ketogenic diet I feel lighter, I have a nice steady stream of energy, and I see my body fat levels drop.  However, I just hate the "flat" appearance my muscles get.  Oh and not to mention my workouts just feel worthless.

Can some of you guys chime in and help me alleviate this madness I've been trying to resolve.  Please.

#862 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 AM

All great questions !!!! .... in for the feedback.

You also sort of described me to a T in many ways. ;)
  • D-575 likes this

#863 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Alright I need to ask this because this is really messing up my whole approach.  Truth, I'm gonna need you for this.  And all you other keto pros.

I have tried going keto in the past and it has worked pretty well for me.  The longest I was able to maintain was for like 3 weeks I believe.  The lack of energy was really messing me up.  However, I didn't give it my all and didn't employ simple tricks like caffeine for energy.  This was years ago when I attempted this.  Currently, I have ballooned up to a weight that I am miserable with and am determined more than ever to knock this out of the park.  I already know exactly what to do but there are just a couple things that are really messing with me.

1. Fruits

- After years and years and years of trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that eating as much whole foods and non-processed foods is where it's at for my body.  I can eat EXTREMELY clean when I put my mind to it and can deter from temptation.  However, I just cannot imagine giving up fruit, especially berries, bananas, and apples.  How can someone fathom eating so strict but not include fruits in their diet.  I know, the fructose will kick me out of ketosis, but can't there be a compromise?  How does liver glycogen differ from muscle glycogen?  I'm just a little too lazy to look this up so I'm hoping someone can school me on it real quick.  Can I seriously never eat fruits again?  This is madness.  They come from our Earth.  How can I not include something like this in my diet?  It almost seems unorthodox.

2. Oats

- This was practically my ONLY carb source when I was not on a ketogenic diet.  I absolutely love regular steel cut oats and blueberries.  I ate bowls and bowls of it multiple times a day mixed with flaxmeal.  The sustained energy and steady glucose levels throughout the day from this is real.  How can I give this up?  It is a power food.

These two things are mainly what's bothering me right now.  Is it possible to tweak a standard ketogenic diet and make it a TKD where the only carbs I consume are fruits and Powerade/Gatorade 30 minutes before workouts?

The other thing I wanted to ask is, if I go a TKD route, how will I know that all the glycogen from my body is used up so that after my workouts I am back in ketosis?  Is the only way to know this is by using keto strips?  I don't get how a TKD can be done everyday and still induce ketosis on an on-going basis?  Wouldn't I need a day or two to get back into ketosis?

I now understand to a better degree how my body works.  On a ketogenic diet I feel lighter, I have a nice steady stream of energy, and I see my body fat levels drop.  However, I just hate the "flat" appearance my muscles get.  Oh and not to mention my workouts just feel worthless.

Can some of you guys chime in and help me alleviate this madness I've been trying to resolve.  Please.

First off you don't have to give up fruit altogether. The more sugary ones like mango and bananas its probably best to to give up except for cheat days. Sundays are my cheat days and by Monday evenings I am back into ketosis. Some folks have a harder time. But no matter what I eat on Sunday or how much by Monday I am back. Regarding your carbs. Get them where you want. Oats are pretty much empty calories compared to more nutrient dense carb sources like broccoli kale etc. But as long as you don't eat enough cabs to knock yourself out of ketosis go for it...with a caveat. Sugar and other insulin stimulators will knock you out of ketosis faster than veggies Use your keto stix and do what works for you. 

One more pet peeve off my chest and I will let you go. Quit saying shit like this  

"They come from our Earth.  How can I not include something like this in my diet?  It almost seems unorthodox.

For the record, uranium, belladonna, cyanide and shit load of other things that will kill you are from our earth. Just because its fucking "Natural" doesn't mean its good for you. Kidney beans for example contain so much lectin that if you ate a big bowl raw you would most likely die a painful death. Take that raw food proponents....That is all 

#864 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Pet peeve part to be taken with grain of salt. I was channeling my inner Patrick 

#865 ezjax

ezjax

PHF

• Reps
  • 5,451 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

keto diet is not for you if you crave fruits and oats..

my body runs sooooo much better on fats than it does on carbs...  but my taste buds want to eat something sweet from time to time..  

I ate 4 bagels, a piece of cake, and a ton of fruit last Sunday and was back in ketosis after my workout monday.. you don't have to give anything up... you just have to eat it on the designated day that you are supposed to eat it..

If you want the benefits of ketosis you have to get it out of your mind that there are super foods....  you know what foods are dense in vitamins, minerals, and energy??  

fatty meats!

I eat 2 of these a day unless im in the mood for Rib Steak of chuck roast

strip-r.jpg

Edited by ezjax, Yesterday, 12:34 PM.

• truthornothin likes this

http://www.phfsupplements.com/

* Ezjax is not a doctor. Please do not view any of his posts as medical advice. Ezjax is a fictional character and does not advocate the use of any illegal substances. Ezjax is not real and all posts are only for enertainment. Use your own discretion and do not blame Ezjax for any of your personal choices in life.

#866 truthornothin

truthornothin

• Members
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationChampaign IL

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

keto diet is not for you if you crave fruits and oats..

my body runs sooooo much better on fats than it does on carbs...  but my taste buds want to eat something sweet from time to time..  

I ate 4 bagels, a piece of cake, and a ton of fruit last Sunday and was back in ketosis after my workout monday.. you don't have to give anything up... you just have to eat it on the designated day that you are supposed to eat it..

If you want the benefits of ketosis you have to get it out of your mind that there are super foods....  you know what foods are dense in vitamins, minerals, and energy??  

fatty meats!

I eat 2 of these a day unless im in the mood for Rib Steak of chuck roast

strip-r.jpg

That is how I roll on Sundays, and its only for taste. I usually feel like shit by day's end. I always feel better in ketosis than out. 

#867 D-575

D-575

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 AM

For the record, uranium, belladonna, cyanide and shit load of other things that will kill you are from our earth. Just because its fucking "Natural" doesn't mean its good for you. Kidney beans for example contain so much lectin that if you ate a big bowl raw you would most likely die a painful death. Take that raw food proponents....That is all 

Thanks Truth.

You know what's funny?  As I was typing that part, I knew I was going to run into somebody that was going to say this and I should've hit the backspace/delete.  Literally, as I was typing it, I was like, "Well fck, poison oak is from the Earth too, however, that's pretty damn lethal.  Although some people can become immune to once they've been poisoned with it, it's not something you'd actually WANT to consume."

I am actually right there with you on the whole "natural" part.  I kind of wrote a big thing on it in the AAS section in a thread.  I forget which one but you can find it if you'd like by searching my posts.  I just simply stated there's no such that is "natural" or "unnatural".  Rather, you should be asking yourself is it naturally occurring because that would be the correct way to bring up if something is native to our existence.

But when I mentioned fruits being from the Earth, I was trying to go along the way in which it's better to eat whole foods than all the other junk.  Most whole foods are brought upon this Earth in a naturally occurring way, at least the ones I eat when I get strict.  I don't think you can really qualify something being a whole food and not being naturally occurring on Earth, ya know?  But that was just what I was trying to say.  But I agree 100%, people need to stop this whole "natural" fiasco because frankly everything is technically "natural" if it exists on this planet.

#868 D-575

D-575

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted Today, 01:44 AM

Regarding your carbs. Get them where you want. Oats are pretty much empty calories compared to more nutrient dense carb sources like broccoli kale etc. But as long as you don't eat enough cabs to knock yourself out of ketosis go for it...with a caveat. Sugar and other insulin stimulators will knock you out of ketosis faster than veggies Use your keto stix and do what works for you. 

Oh and although I pretty much agree with everything you've stated, I'm not quite sure if I can side with you on oats being useless and empty.  Sure they aren't packed with a complete profile, but they are predominantly a carb source.  Most carb sources aren't nutrient dense, but I wouldn't go as far as to call oats an empty calorie source.  They pack a pretty good vitamin B profile, along with being a good source of b-glucan.  I forget some of the other minerals they provide.  But honestly, out of all the carb sources, specifically complex, they are probably top 3; at least in my book.  No other complex carb seriously packs as good of a punch as oats.

I think I'm just going to work this out the way I planned on it in the first.  I'm going to go full on keto for about a month so that way I can get used to being in a ketogenic state.  Once I get the hang of it and transition, I'm going to slowly start adding in oats and fruit.  I can't exactly consume them pre-workout because I just can't workout on a full stomach like that.  I'm going to experiment with Powerade 30 minutes before workout, this way I can induce a fast working carb that will immediately fuel my workouts.

Then after I get this technique down, I'm going to look into carb back loading and use oats post-workouts while still hoping to maintain ketosis.  Like you said, the key to this will be playing with the carbs and seeing how far I can push it to where I'm still in ketosis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users