Serving the Iron Legion: SPLocal's 20 Week Meet Prep

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Are you going conventional or sumo? What sizes are you using?

I pull conventional; the King Pro (velcro straps) and the Pro Deadlifter (fixed straps) are the same size (50)--but I cannot for the life of me maneuver into the Pro Deadlifter. I tried on my King last night again and it still fits, I can get deep into it without the use of suit slippers but I may need to buy some for the Pro. The sizing for the King was per recommendation of Jo Jordan at EFS, so it wasn't an arbitrary decision. I thought the Pro would fit the same but it seems much tighter it the crotch.

Do you have any advice on that end?

That sucks your stuff doesn't fit.

What kind of job did you get?

It's definitely a bummer! I don't mind the exchange process but I hate the waiting!

I'll be working at an aerospace company as a tool coordinator, which means I serve as an intermediary between guys on the production floor and clients which rent out heavy machinery--so I have to ensure the floor workers have what they need to do their jobs. It has absolutely nothing to do with my BA (History) but a job is a job and I'll take it!

Antaeus Labs Representative

#27 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's definitely a bummer! I don't mind the exchange process but I hate the waiting!

I'll be working at an aerospace company as a tool coordinator, which means I serve as an intermediary between guys on the production floor and clients which rent out heavy machinery--so I have to ensure the floor workers have what they need to do their jobs. It has absolutely nothing to do with my BA (History) but a job is a job and I'll take it!

The waiting sucks. That is the number one reason I hate buying supps and stuff online. I hate waiting for the delivery truck and checking tracking every day while I urge it to get here faster through the computer screen. lol

My buddy has a BA in history and he sells copiers and office products for a living. He did history because he enjoyed it and knew that he wanted to do a career in sales and all they wanted was a degree. My first 6 months out of school were spent either unemployed (first month) or at a job that did use my degree at all (I did payroll for a big insurance company). Then I got a random call from a recruiter that got me my current job in my field. Just do the best job you can and keep your eyes and ears open.

#28 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Week Two-Day Three: Rest Day

Morning Weigh-In:
188lbs

Meal A-1 tbsp MCT Oil, 3 Whole Eggs, 2 scoop PES Amino IV, 1 scoop Dymatize Casein
Meal B-4 scoop PES Amino IV, 200g Chicken Breast, 200g Brown Rice
Meal C-3 Whole Eggs, 1 tbsp MCT Oil, 1 scoop Dymatize Casein, 2 scoop PES Amino IV

Macros:

1819 cal, 76g Fat, 63g Carbs, 235g Protein

#29 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Week Two-Day Four: Deadlift

Morning Weigh-In:
186.5 lbs

Training:

BB Deadlift:
First Component-360x3, 415x3, 465x3, 490x1 (70/80/90% of TM: 515)
Second Component-440x3, 390x5, 335x5 (85/75/65% of TM: 515)
Third Component-335x5, 390x5, 440x5

BB Squat:
205x10, 210x10, 215x10, 220x10, 225x10 (~50-55% of TM: 415)

Farmer's Carry:
60-100lbs DBs, varying lengths/intensities

Notes:
Despite my weight stagnancy I am getting an increased amount of compliments at the gym on my size--I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative development as I don't feel like I look any better than I did several months ago. I am also developing a reputation for being "that guy" who does Farmers Carries/Waiters Walks through the sole extended pathway in the gym. Women think I'm nuts, old men look at me and nod, and young men smirk and go back to their curls.

Diet:
Meal A-6 scoop PES Amino IV, 3 scoop PES Select Protein, 4 slices Ezekiel Sprouted Bread, 150g Banana
Meal B-300g Brown Rice, 200g Chicken Breast, 4 scoop PES Amino IV
Meal C-200g Cottage Cheese, 150g Banana, 2 tbsp Peanut Butter, 2 scoop Dymatize Casein, 100g Bartlett Pear

Macros:
~2800 Kcal, 46g fat, 283g Carbs, 315g Protein

Notes: Brought in some fruit today, starting to like the taste of things vis-a-vis the processed crap I've been eating lately. I'm considering bringing in apples as a work-time snack to help curb hunger on my off days.

Also, I am still eating vegetables (spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli) but have not been (nor have I ever) counting them towards my macros (excluding starchy vegetables).

#30 sorrow

sorrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yeah the "single ply" king pro conv. is actually double ply in the legs. It took me a long time to get comfortable in mine. The key measurement is the thigh, the velcro straps allow you to more or less ignore the inseam or height. I was in the same boat as you had the same size king deadlifter pro, and king squat suit. Found out real fast there was a difference in the leg sizes. (fyi there is also a cut difference between the ace line and the jack line) The odd part is the lack of hip support. It doesn't really wrap around the hips like the squat suits do. The tight pull across the crotch is from the compression on the inner thigh. My best guess without seeing it on you is it may be the right size but stretch the legs out. Try warm water and a football or basketball.. deflate them shove em in and pump them up to stretch the legs to fit, be careful not to over do it though.
Here was my last meet in my suit, I had/have the same suit for the last 3 years so its well broken in and fit me well at 242. Sorry couldn't find the single video but I start deadlifting around 4min mark. Once fit is dialed in, I'd work on approach and get your setup dialed in.. thats where most people loose a geared deadlift. All of this is in my opinion, I'm sure there is far more knowledgeable people then me around

Dukes Iron Zoo/TIM BAKER - XPC Multi Ply Open/3-03-2013 - YouTube
  • iceman99uc likes this

#31 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Week Two: Days Five and Six

Apologies for the lack of updates; I had orientation for my new job on Friday and spent today tying up loose ends at home and prepping for my new schedule.

Unfortunately my meals have not been tracked but things will resume as normal tomorrow. I attempted to train my wide-grip bench this morning but found myself feeling "off" so I stepped away from things. I will also be taking tomorrow off in order to be fresh for Monday's first post-work training session. On a more productive note my work schedule has been finalized and I will have access to a personal fridge/cubicle at work, which will facilitate meal control to a greater degree.

I've returned the Catapult for exchange and the fixed-strap Pro Deadlifter for refund--the money would be better put towards PL/mobility gear seeing as how I already have a suit. I've got a RumbleRoller, new Proloc collars, and some grip training equipment on the way. Best of all though, is the Spud Inc "Magic Carpet" sled which I plan to use during my rest days.

Yeah the "single ply" king pro conv. is actually double ply in the legs. It took me a long time to get comfortable in mine. The key measurement is the thigh, the velcro straps allow you to more or less ignore the inseam or height. I was in the same boat as you had the same size king deadlifter pro, and king squat suit. Found out real fast there was a difference in the leg sizes. (fyi there is also a cut difference between the ace line and the jack line) The odd part is the lack of hip support. It doesn't really wrap around the hips like the squat suits do. The tight pull across the crotch is from the compression on the inner thigh. My best guess without seeing it on you is it may be the right size but stretch the legs out. Try warm water and a football or basketball.. deflate them shove em in and pump them up to stretch the legs to fit, be careful not to over do it though.
Here was my last meet in my suit, I had/have the same suit for the last 3 years so its well broken in and fit me well at 242. Sorry couldn't find the single video but I start deadlifting around 4min mark. Once fit is dialed in, I'd work on approach and get your setup dialed in.. thats where most people loose a geared deadlift. All of this is in my opinion, I'm sure there is far more knowledgeable people then me around

Dukes Iron Zoo/TIM BAKER - XPC Multi Ply Open/3-03-2013 - YouTube

Thanks for the insight and in-depth explanation, I appreciate it. I did notice the difference in the leg cut, but it seems like the velcro-strapped King allowed me to get more top-down "wiggle" into the leg and really stretch things out--whereas I couldn't even bring the fixed straps to my shoulders because of the thigh-area impediment. I purchased the King because (1) I love training the deadlift and (2) it was on sale. After/if I reach the short-term raw goals I have set for myself I would like to chase state records in the multi-ply division within my federation but that is a long-term goal.

Do you have any experience with Metal (or any other brand's) suit slippers?

And strong lifting at your meet; it looks like you really know how to modify your stance to accommodate the crotch/inner-thigh tension. I noticed a similar approach to grasping the bar in Ano Turtianien's pull vids.

#32 sorrow

sorrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Work pays the bills man. Get the carreer straight and settle in to the lifting!

Velcro straps makes all the difference for me. I've used just about everything in the metal lineup at some point. I'm honestly not a big fan of suit slippers. Was always a pain for me to get them back off after the suit was up. I've found the greatest success with stretching / forming the legs. I'll look around and if I still have them you can have em. A side note about straps is the velcro straps really let you start out with the suit loose then as you get more comfortable with your starting position you can tighten things up for more of a kick! The king gear has a narrow response in my opinion. It's great for the first 3-4 inches off the floor but as you near the knee there's next to nothing.

Get your head straight, make that money! And then get back to it man!

#33 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Week Three: Day One-Bench Primary

Morning Weigh-In:
187lbs
BB Close-Grip Bench:
First Component: 225x3, 260x3, 290x3, 305x1
Second Component:275x5, 240x5, 210x5
Third Component: 245x5, 275x5
(Third Component Repetitions are Paused: 2 seconds at lockout, 2 seconds on chest)

BB Wide-Grip Bench: 160x10, 160x10, 160x10, 160x10, 160x10

Weighted Dips:
+45x5, +70x5, +80x5

DB Flat Press:
55x10, 60x10, 65x10, 70x10, 75x10

Cable Lateral Raise, Unilateral:
15x10, 20x10, 25x10, 30x10, 35x10

Waiter's Carries:
~40-65lb dumbbells, varying distances/intensities

Diet:
Meal A-1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 scoop Select Protein, 1 scoop Dymatize Casein, 1 tbsp MCT Oil
Meal B-200g Chicken Breast, 4 pcs Ezekiel Bread, 3 tomatoes
Meal C-200g Chicken Breast, 2 Low-Carb Tortillas, 200g Fuji Apple, x2 scoop PES Amino IV
Meal D-300g Chicken Breast, 1 scoop Select Protein, 300g Brown Rice, 1 cup Dave's Organic Pasta Sauce, 330g Caramel Corn

Macros:
3109 Kcal, 66g fat, 289g carb, 345g protein

Good news: I felt great during today's session and had an overall good day at work. I also incorporated some fruit and brown rice to pleasurable effect so I'll be shifting away from my dependence on Ezekiel bread.
Bad news: Went over calories by quite a bit during an office first-day party. I opted for caramel corn over the cookies/cakes and my intake is an estimate. But now that I have a sense of my breaktime and hunger/satiety levels at work I can better plan my meals.

I am looking forward to the coming months, and am feeling much more positive about my planning now.

#34 PZTHATER

PZTHATER

• Members
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

lots of volume. nice work

#35 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Week Three-Day Two: Deadlift Primary

Not going to do a full update today; had to switch my pulls to today due to a scheduling issue.
I managed to smash one of my fingers and tweak my groin in a single session--so that's a record I guess.
I probably won't hit legs (at least not anything beyond machines) for the rest of the week.

Talk about frustration!

#36 branniganslaw

branniganslaw

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I hope the groin is nothing serious - I've been fighting a groin strain myself this entire cycle so I know how you feel - my advice, rest it up. I kept pushing through it, it hurt a bit more each time I squatted, until finally I had to drop ATG squats out of my routine altogether. Somehow my stubbornness made me think I was healing it by keeping it working, don't make the same mistake!
My ph & ancillaries for sale in Canada:

http://www.prohormoneforum.com/classified/81428-ph-ancillaries-sale-canada.html

#37 branniganslaw

branniganslaw

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

How's the training going my man? The groin feeling any better? Mine has healed up after a (forced) layoff due to back injury... just thought I'd report that, took about a week off all squatting/dling for it to feel close to 'normal'. Hope the prep is still going strong!

#38 Keys_10

Keys_10

• Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Good luck on this SP.

Your logs are always a pleasure to follow.

#39 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

My apologies to you all for such a conspicuous absence. A full update on the past week(s) will be coming soon.

In the meantime, it's been a while since I posted videos so here you go:

Sled Pulls with the Spud Inc. "Magic Carpet":

https://www.facebook...829573345238958

~501lb Deadlift from my first PL meet:

https://www.facebook...293151478310735

#40 branniganslaw

branniganslaw

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Nothing to apologize for just making sure you're still plugging away and not injured or otherwise in a bad way!

#41 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

In the interest of making a long story short, and for disclosure to those of you who are still following along (it is much appreciated), I'll be honest about the modifications to my goals.

There was plenty of time over the holiday for overeating, two-a-day training sessions, sled pulling, and PR testing, but in the process of my vacation I considered my goals and their feasibility along with my own shortcomings/weaknesses in their pursuit.

In both my dietary goals and in the gym, I have fallen victim to both my own pride/hubris and my self-criticism/self-expectations.

When I was bodybuilding, I was living a lifestyle (with regards to food/training) that was at one extreme of the spectrum. In the transition to powerlifting, I shifted entirely to other extreme. But the key to success in either endeavor is balance--and to realize that there is more to life than how you look, or how much weight you move. To get the most from it, one's training must compliment life, not dominate it. I own the weights, the iron does not own me.

That being said, here is where I'm at. Hopefully it doesn't sound too cliche and reek of "New Years Resolution" nonsense.

My goals are as follows:
1. Develop consistent/honest/accountable tracking habits via MFP for my food intake
2. Develop better eating habits and learn how to maintain flexibility/enjoy a relationship with food that is not one of extremes
3. Build, rather than seek to display, my strength during my gym sessions. Less singles, more rep work, less ego, more self-restraint.
4. To bring more strongman conditioning (sled pulls, waiters carries, farmers walks) into my sessions because I enjoy them and can get excited about it.
5. To once again enjoy my training, rather than make it a source of self-loathing, by setting reasonable goals and paving a path to an elite total one stone at a time.

#42 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Advanced 5/3/1 Frequency Project

I am still employing 5/3/1 but with a much more PL oriented tact in terms of exercise selection and repetition ranges. For the most part though I will be dropping singles in favor of triples and repetition sets. I will also be incorporating more pauses, partial ROM movements, etc.

There are two rotating, weekly phases to this setup. Details will be revealed as I get the sessions in.

Phase A: Squat and Close-Grip Bench Primary
Phase B: Deadlift and Board Press Primary

As it stands, my gym-tested 1RMs are 410/330/530 bench/squat/deadlift; a substantial increase in all lifts since the October meet but not quite where I'd like things to be (particularly the squat). Fortunately there is still time to hit things with intensity and vigor.

#43 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Advanced 5/3/1: Week One

Monday: Close-Grip Bench, Pause Work

BB Close-Grip Bench, 2-Second Pauses: 275x3, 275x3, 275x3
Metal Catapult Overload, 3-Second Pauses: 315x1, 330x1, 350x1, 365x1
BB Floor Press: 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
DB Incline Bench, Static Holds/Alternating Press: 70x5, 85x5, 95x5 100x5

Unfortunately this session was cut short due to my ride, but the work was done and the numbers were met. That's what counts.

#44 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Tuesday: Squat, Pause Work

ATG Squat, 2-Second Pause: 355x3, 360x3, 365x3
BB Deficit Deadlift, 1" Deficit: 410x5, 410x5, 410x5, 415x5, 410x5

In and out, I wish I had more time for assistance work but gym time has become limited now that my schedule is set up. Even this work takes about 1.5+ hours.

#45 PZTHATER

PZTHATER

• Members
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

OP workin

PURUS LABS REP

#46 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Wednesday: Volume Close-Grip Bench

BB Close Grip Bench, 1-Second Pause: 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
BB Close Grip Bench, Stump Strap Attachment: 275x3, 275x3, 275x3, 275x3, 275x3

Thursday: Volume Squats

BB Squat, 1-Second Pause and Stump Strap Attachment: 315x5, 320x5, 335x5, 345x5, 350x5
BB Deadlift, Monster Mini Bands: 315x3, 320x3, 325x3, 335x3, 345x3

#47 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Advanced 5/3/1 Week One:

Friday: Heavy Close-Grip Bench

BB Close Grip Bench:
With Stump Straps, 45lbs Distributed: 315x1, 315x1, 315x1 (all 1-Second Pause)
Without Stump Straps, Even Distribution: 320x1, 325x1 (touch and go)

Saturday: Heavy Squats
With Stump Straps, 40lbs Distributed per Side: 390x1, 390x1, 390x1
Without Stump Straps, Even Distribution: 390x1, 390x1

Squat Video: 390x1 w/ Stump Straps
Instagram

Edited by SPLocal, 11 January 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#48 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Nice depth on the squat bro! Good work as usual.

Animis Representative

www.animis.org/forum

#49 SPLocal

SPLocal

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Very late on updates but I've been working:

420x2, no assistance on that first rep, very pleased with depth.
It has been a long time since I've had 4 plates on my back, so being able to drop it low is an accomplishment.

https://www.facebook...796561930302158

I also tripled 500 on deadlifts this week.

#50 branniganslaw

branniganslaw

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

that's some nice work man! Glad to see you're still motoring along

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users