Training for size

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

With higher rep sets, I think the key is decreasing the rest period and not going to failure on every set. That way you get cumulative fatigue. These are the two ways I've found I grow: heavy weight taken to complete failure in the 6-10 rep range and lighter weight with short rest periods building up to a set taken to failure after several consecutive non-failure sets at rep ranges of 10-15.

This is 100% accurate. You want to optimize for all variables, this means you can't gain 20lbs without putting on some strength, and vica versa. There's extensive research showing that higher volume of non failure work> lower volume of failure. Ex: you're squatting 275. You could do 6 sets of 8 reps, or 10 sets of 6 reps, the latter being superior.
Antaeus Labs Rep
http://www.antaeuslabs.com
Unique and Innovative Products

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about our products.

#52 B i o

B i o

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Low weight and higher reps is good for definition and burn calories. I dont see it puting mass i also already tried it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

#53 hellsgatekeeper

hellsgatekeeper

Is Weak and Fat

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Do you volume training guys ever do partial ROMs? It's something I have been looking in to because of my joints and back aches.

If something is bothering you that bad change exercises. More then one way to hit a muscle group.

#54 Muscle-Addict83

Muscle-Addict83

Celtic Labs Rep

• Reps
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Do you volume training guys ever do partial ROMs? It's something I have been looking in to because of my joints and back aches.

I only do it as a finisher and in the stretched position.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#55 kimura

kimura

Better than Craigslist

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

Keep this thread going!

I just started to implement a rest pause approach on my overhead press after my 5/3/1.
Reason is simply to cause my body to adapt to a new stress to trigger growth, and time under tension.

1 used 73.bla bla bla % of my new 1Rm so 100 pounds. I weigh 173 and my goal is to press bodyweight in 4 months while enhancing my physique :D

My reps for each set (3 see s in 1) was 9,3,3 with 10-15 seconds rest in between.

Anyone use this, also what about extreme stretching?
Is this done after the rest pause??

#56 kris90

kris90

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

I spoke to a buddy who is an IFBB pro to get some training advice.

Basically, I had stopped lifting weights to pursue other goals (natural bodyweight strength/calisthenics and martial arts). Recently I became sick and stopped all training for a good 3 months. Now, I've decided to get back into bodybuilding.

Having not lifted weights in nearly a year, I asked him should I go into a strength training routine to get my lifts back up, and then switch to a bodybuilding split? His response was not to overthink it, and start with a high volume/hypertrophy style of training. He also has the mentality to train with instinct and spontaneity, i.e. go in to the gym and do something different everytime. He says he never does the same rep/set scheme or exercises twice.

So some good info there from a pro. I guess it helps keep the body guessing, keeps training interesting and exciting, and takes the stress/obsession out of keeping track of your lifts.

#57 hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

One note: volume >>> all other variables. 2 drop sets < 4 sets, 20 sets of 100lbs = 200 sets of 10lbs, etc. Exaggeration but you get the pont
Antaeus Labs Rep

#58 kris90

kris90

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

Another neat method for hypertrophy which is safe and effective is to choose a weight that is your 20 rep max, and do a high amount of sets with this weight in the 10-12 rep range.

I.e. if you can squat 135 lbs for 20 reps, then do 6-8 sets of 10-12 reps with that weight with short rest periods.

#59 hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Another neat method for hypertrophy which is safe and effective is to choose a weight that is your 20 rep max, and do a high amount of sets with this weight in the 10-12 rep range.

I.e. if you can squat 135 lbs for 20 reps, then do 6-8 sets of 10-12 reps with that weight with short rest periods.

Which is an example of maximizing volume at the cost of intensity within a time period :)
Antaeus Labs Rep

#60 srootone

srootone

EpstaneMan

• Members
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

My thoughts are whichever way you get there, if by the end of the workout your muscles are broken down, they will grow.

drop-sets, volume, time under tension, shorter rest periods, progressive over-load etc etc

It's all like the same but different.     you know.....

.....kinda like pussy.   :yodawg:

It's all about finding what vagina works for 'you'.    

....or penor for some of you 'other' constitutionally protected Gents. :whatruthinkin:

Don't forget the only person standing in your way is YOU.....

Previous Cycles:
-SD bridge Katanadrol 2.0-

-epi solo-
45/45/45
http://www.anabolicm...d-epistane.html

-stano/mecha/epi stack-
Stano 1,050/1,050/1,050/0/0
Mecha 0/125/150/150/150
Epi 30/45/60/75/75
http://www.prohormon...hred-stack-log/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users