• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 spoch

spoch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

PA, I get confused seeing different products on the market for post workout- some will give you 25 grams of protein, others 10 grams of BCAA's and other aminos. My question is, whats better for right after an intense workout, amino's or protein?
  • SpiderJerusalem likes this

#2 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,675 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

PA, I get confused seeing different products on the market for post workout- some will give you 25 grams of protein, others 10 grams of BCAA's and other aminos. My question is, whats better for right after an intense workout, amino's or protein?

you would want to ingest all the essential amino acids at least. that can be acheived using whole protein sources or by ingesting a mixture of the amino acids in free form. whole protein sources would make the most sense though because digestability arent an issue post workout as they are pre workout

Visit My Blog www.patrickarnoldblog.com

Become a Member of E-Pharm Facebook Page www.facebook.com/epharmnutrition

#3 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,675 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

who the hell is selling a free form amino acid post workout product anyway?

#4 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Every bcaa product i have ever seen was for half a serving before workout and sip the rest during workout

#5 spoch

spoch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

A product called, "Post-Jym", also Dark Matter from MHP.

#6 seabiscuit hogg

seabiscuit hogg

• Members
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Every bcaa product i have ever seen was for half a serving before workout and sip the rest during workout

this is the way u use BCAAs. Should really use casein or whey for recovery.

#7 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,675 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

A product called, "Post-Jym", also Dark Matter from MHP.

taking bcaas without the other essential amino acids after a workout makes no sense. you need all the building blocks

#8 shadowsyl2012

shadowsyl2012

• Members
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Nuh uh. The guy at GNC said so.

Edited by shadowsyl2012, 11 April 2014 - 06:46 PM.

• bradray likes this
Canadian Supps for sale

#9 hybridp

hybridp

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hasn't this already been beaten to death? I thought BCAA's don't really do much unless a lot of endurance and/or calorie deficit is involved intra-workout?

#10 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

The best application for bcaa's would be working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I do it everyday. IF would probably be a scenario as well, or see my above post

#11 bigbumpkin2003

bigbumpkin2003

• Members
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I recently took to ingestion of BCAAs intra work out and I. Very pleased with it
Very proudly representing LGI !!
.... ... www.LGISupplements.net

#12 Newb5

Newb5

Celtic Lab Rep

• Reps
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

food imo is way better almost anytime. messing with supps like this is useless really.

Celtic Labs Rep
PHF Supplements

Supps for sale within Canada including Celtic Labs.

Anything I say is my opinion and purely fuctional and nothing more.

#13 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I recently took to ingestion of BCAAs intra work out and I. Very pleased with it

Me too, can def tell a difference

#14 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

food imo is way better almost anytime. messing with supps like this is useless really.

Gotta say though, from personal experience BCAA's are a lot easier to get down during a workout than a steak.
:whatruthinkin:

"its fucking lasik surgery for christ sake. relax. its not like you are getting a triple bypass" :facepalm:
--P.A.

"Domesticated badgers? Really? As pets?"

--Walter Bishop

#15 Rushi

Rushi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Post-JYM is intended to be taken in conjunction with complete protein.

#16 Rushi

Rushi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Post-JYM is intended to be taken in conjunction with complete protein.

His products are actually pretty solid, no shill.

#17 NowYourDeadSon

NowYourDeadSon

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

I've been doing just bcaa post workout..
should I switch to whey?

I do BCAA + karbolyn currently..
better off w/ karbolyn + whey?
or just whey

IM CONFLICTED NOW

#18 superman21

superman21

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

I've been doing just bcaa post workout..
should I switch to whey?

I do BCAA + karbolyn currently..
better off w/ karbolyn + whey?
or just whey

IM CONFLICTED NOW

go with whey and some carbs post work out,i thing its the best thing...recently i bought some fermented l-leucine from man sports and some l carnitine-l tartrate to ''enhance'' my workout and reduce my doms after workout at a caloric deficit and guess what?nothing happend after 4 weeks lol....also make sure to buy cross flow whey it has all the immunoglobulins you want and they help a little with the recovery..

#19 Newb5

Newb5

Celtic Lab Rep

• Reps
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:35 AM

Gotta say though, from personal experience BCAA's are a lot easier to get down during a workout than a steak.
:whatruthinkin:

ummm i think you missed my whole point. theres not much reason to take anything intra or pre or post. eat before and after a workout and thats all you really need.
people put way too much time into these stupid diet fads and supplement regimens that hardly do anything special.

Edited by Newb5, 15 April 2014 - 01:38 AM.

Celtic Labs Rep
PHF Supplements

Supps for sale within Canada including Celtic Labs.

Anything I say is my opinion and purely fuctional and nothing more.

#20 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

The whole point of bcaa pre and during and then a complete protein after is the have all the essential amino acids in place for muscle rebuild and to save muscle after being catabolic. However you get them is irrelevant. Just complete the process and you will grow muscle plain and simple whether you get the aminos from a turkey sandwich, peanut butter, a steak or whatever.

#21 Svartnir

Svartnir

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

I drink ox semen and shark adrenalin pre-workout. Intra I do IM test between sets and after I have bcaa shake. Seems like a good setup?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

#22 NowYourDeadSon

NowYourDeadSon

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

I drink ox semen and shark adrenalin pre-workout. Intra I do IM test between sets and after I have bcaa shake. Seems like a good setup?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

add a TD tne also.. between sets.. applied to muscle you're training

and PA.. my understanding was you want high gi (karbolyn) pwo.. but when consuming carbs w/ protein or fat, the gi goes out the window and everything digests the same.. which is why I consumer the karbolyn w/ BCAA..
in YOUR opinion.. am I better off with a whey + karbolyn, just whey, just karbolyn.. karbolyn + Bcaa + eaa ?...

WHATEVER SHOULD I DO
help a conflicted brotha out.

#23 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

ummm i think you missed my whole point. theres not much reason to take anything intra or pre or post. eat before and after a workout and thats all you really need.
people put way too much time into these stupid diet fads and supplement regimens that hardly do anything special.

There have been additional benefits shown in supplementing BCAA's. Considering most people on these kinds of forums are constantly on the lookout for an "extra edge", BCAA supplementation would appear to fall into the category.

Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study.

Also,:

References
Walker, D., Dickinson, J., et al. Exercise, Amino Acids, and Aging in the Control of Human Muscle Protein Synthesis. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. May 2011.

Bajotto, G., Sato, Y., et al. Effect of BCAA Supplementation During Unloading on Regulatory Components of Protein Synthesis in Atrophied Soleus Muscles. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011. 111, 1815-1828

Norton, L., Layman, D., Wilson, G., Moulton, C., Rupassara, S., Barlick, P. Leucine Contents of Isonitrogenous Protein Sources Predict Changes in Body Composition and Muscle Mass in Rats. The Journal of the Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology. 2010 April. 24(97.5).

Expert Fitness “Amino Acids” 2003.
Elite Image Nutrition “What Are Branch Chain Amino Acids?” 2003.
Gastmann “Overtraining and the BCAA hypothesis. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise” 30, 1173-8 (1998).

"its fucking lasik surgery for christ sake. relax. its not like you are getting a triple bypass" :facepalm:
--P.A.

--Walter Bishop

#24 branniganslaw

branniganslaw

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

There have been additional benefits shown in supplementing BCAA's. Considering most people on these kinds of forums are constantly on the lookout for an "extra edge", BCAA supplementation would appear to fall into the category.

Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study.

You should read the studies you cut and paste, or if you have read them, learn to interpret them in context.

"...following an overnight fast, participants ingested a further 20 g bolus, 1 h pre-exercise and immediately post-exercise. In accordance with previous work [21], all participants were strongly advised to maintain regular dietary habits and avoid taking additional protein or any supplements for the duration of the study. In an attempt to control for diet, participants were asked to record food intake in the loading phase of the trial and replicate this diet as closely as possible following the damaging protocol."

In other words, they all showed up fasted, and half the guys got 20g bcaas pre, and another 20g post. The other half got NOTHING - no carbs, no protien, nada. So yeah, big surprise, eating nothing for 24 hours and doing extreme exercise is worse than taking in a bit of bcaas pre/post.

Now show the same effect comparing a) starting out in a fed state, B) an isocaloric treatment, c) a leucine-matched protein dose pre/post.

Here's a hint - you won't.

I challenge you to find anything that shows additional benefits to bcaas under those (normal training) circumstances in humans.

And lol @ copy/pasting the references section of someone else's article...

Edited by branniganslaw, 15 April 2014 - 01:53 PM.

My ph & ancillaries for sale in Canada:

http://www.prohormoneforum.com/classified/81428-ph-ancillaries-sale-canada.html

#25 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

You should read the studies you cut and paste, or if you have read them, learn to interpret them in context.

"...following an overnight fast, participants ingested a further 20 g bolus, 1 h pre-exercise and immediately post-exercise. In accordance with previous work [21], all participants were strongly advised to maintain regular dietary habits and avoid taking additional protein or any supplements for the duration of the study. In an attempt to control for diet, participants were asked to record food intake in the loading phase of the trial and replicate this diet as closely as possible following the damaging protocol."

In other words, they all showed up fasted, and half the guys got 20g bcaas pre, and another 20g post. The other half got NOTHING - no carbs, no protien, nada. So yeah, big surprise, eating nothing for 24 hours and doing extreme exercise is worse than taking in a bit of bcaas pre/post.

Now show the same effect comparing a) starting out in a fed state, B) an isocaloric treatment, c) a leucine-matched protein dose pre/post.

Here's a hint - you won't.

I challenge you to find anything that shows additional benefits to bcaas under those (normal training) circumstances in humans.

And lol @ copy/pasting the references section of someone else's article...

The copying of the references was simply to indicate that there has been other research done on the subject aside from the article I linked directly. lol @ making half-assed assumptions.

Also, you need to make up your mind--was it an "overnight" fast, or was it "24 hours"? lol @ not even being able to retain consistency in your own post.

For people who do in fact lift next day after an overnight fast (ie, before "breakfast"), evidently BCAA's have some value, especially if someone isn't getting to eat until more than an hour after their workout.

BCAA's are digested and assimilated much faster than (whole) protein sources. I challenge you to find anything showing that proves, say, Leucine for example, doesn't take much longer to be liberated (and used) from a whole protein source via digestion than from free-form BCAA.

You should learn not to defend posters who make blanket-statement dietary claims about everyone, regardless of individual variations.

--P.A.

--Walter Bishop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amino, aminos, bcaa, better, confused, products, protein, question, workout

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)