Official Store

Photo
- - - - -

Older guys don't metabolize AAS as fast?

aas androgens article find like men prop testosterone

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 seek2bhappy

seek2bhappy

Montana's Finest

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

PA,

I recently read an article (which I cannot find) that stated that older men metabolize testosterone + ester (ace, prop, enanthate, etc) at a slower rate. They have higher circulating levels of androgens for longer periods of time than someone in their 20s using the same compound/dose.

Kinda like a diesel engine-- takes a little while to get started but it lasts longer and takes longer to cool down.

Is there any truth to this? ..

Edited by andrewjx, 30 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

previously handle: andrewjx

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?
Is anything worth more than your soul?" -Matthew 16:26

#2 frank thomas

frank thomas

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Not exactly what you getting at but some good info here:
http://www.medscape....warticle/575492

#3 lildutchy

lildutchy

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'd believe it.

#4 seabiscuit hogg

seabiscuit hogg

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

It seems like it's true. Idk wouldn't mind hearing what pa thinks.

#5 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

PA,

I recently read an article (which I cannot find) that stated that older men metabolize testosterone + ester (ace, prop, enanthate, etc) at a slower rate. They have higher circulating levels of androgens for longer periods of time than someone in their 20s using the same compound/dose.

Kinda like a diesel engine-- takes a little while to get started but it lasts longer and takes longer to cool down.

dont strain your fingers by typing a link so i can read about it or anything.

Visit My Blog www.patrickarnoldblog.com

Become a Member of E-Pharm Facebook Page www.facebook.com/epharmnutrition

#6 seek2bhappy

seek2bhappy

Montana's Finest

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

I honestly cant find it. I was hoping you had an easy answer for this logged from all your studies haha

-- Guess it'll be unknown unless someone else on the board read something similar.

#7 studog

studog

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Diesel engine, that is definitely how I feel, good analogy I'm going to use that one.
" I didn't think I was older until I went into an Abercrombie and Fitch and they looked at me like I was walking through a playground with my cock in my hand."- Greg Giraldo

#8 bigbumpkin2003

bigbumpkin2003

• Members
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ima gotdamn rocket engine!
Very proudly representing LGI !!
.... ... www.LGISupplements.net

#9 bossman523

bossman523

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

dont strain your fingers by typing a link so i can read about it or anything.

damn!! Pat comes out swinging for the fences

#10 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

I honestly cant find it. I was hoping you had an easy answer for this logged from all your studies haha

-- Guess it'll be unknown unless someone else on the board read something similar.

Well here's one link that mentions older men having slower "clearance rates" for Test.
"Older men are as responsive as young men to testosterone's anabolic effects; however, older men have lower testosterone clearance rates, higher increments in hemoglobin, and a higher frequency of adverse effects."

Dunno if that equates to exactly what you're saying, but maybe? I'd look for more links and the full-text right now but my chicken dinner's ready.
:fawkyeah:

"its fucking lasik surgery for christ sake. relax. its not like you are getting a triple bypass" :facepalm:
--P.A.

"Domesticated badgers? Really? As pets?"

--Walter Bishop

#11 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

most things dont work as well when we get older. none of this should be shocking

#12 frank thomas

frank thomas

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

most things dont work as well when we get older. none of this should be shocking

Fight Da Power!

#13 studog

studog

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

I must say hangin around on this forum has turned the clock back a little for me.
" I didn't think I was older until I went into an Abercrombie and Fitch and they looked at me like I was walking through a playground with my cock in my hand."- Greg Giraldo

#14 frank thomas

frank thomas

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I must say hangin around on this forum has turned the clock back a little for me.

me too.

#15 spinyvegeta

spinyvegeta

IronMagLabs REP

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Speak for yourself Pat. Lol

THE MOST HARDCORE BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS ON THE MARKET, PERIOD!

IRONMAGLABS BODYBUILDING NUTRITION

PM ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS

#16 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Speak for yourself Pat. Lol

i am speaking for little patrick

#17 Adrenolin

Adrenolin

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

Dammit, I knew I should have started at 15yo!

Representative Of:

IronMagLabs
IronMag Research

Private Messages Always Welcomed!

@IMLAdrenolin

#18 seek2bhappy

seek2bhappy

Montana's Finest

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

this thread wins. on many levels.

i guess the whole 'hey dude, you're getting older so shit doesnt work as well' pretty much sums it up.

#19 seabiscuit hogg

seabiscuit hogg

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

PA,

Does this mean I can use prop for enanthate?

#20 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2010 vol. 95(8) pp. 3955-64
The effects of injected testosterone dose and age on the conversion of testosterone to estradiol and dihydrotestosterone in young and older men
Lakshman, KM; Kaplan, B; Travison, TG; Basaria, S; Knapp, PE; Singh, AB; LaValley, MP; Mazer, NA; Bhasin, S
BACKGROUND: During testosterone (T) therapy, T is partly converted to 17beta-estradiol (E2) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Effects of age, testosterone dose, and body composition on total and free E2 and DHT levels are unknown.
OBJECTIVE: We evaluated age and dose-related differences in E2 and DHT levels in response to graded doses of testosterone enanthate in young and older men.
METHODS: Fifty-one young (aged 19-35 yr) and 52 older (aged 59-75 yr) men completed treatment with monthly injections of a GnRH agonist plus randomly assigned weekly doses of testosterone enanthate (25, 50, 125, 300, or 600 mg) for 5 months.
RESULTS: During testosterone administration, total and free E2 levels increased dose-dependently (dose effect, P<0.001) in both young and older men. Total and free E2 levels and E2:T ratios during T administration were higher in older than young men, but age-related differences in free E2 and free E2:T ratios were not significant after adjusting for testosterone levels, percentage fat mass, and SHBG. DHT levels and DHT:T ratios were dose-related but did not differ between young and older men. Mechanistic modeling of free hormone data revealed that the conversions of T to E2 and DHT were both consistent with saturable Michaelis-Menten kinetics. The in vivo Km values were estimated to be 1.83 nm for aromatase and 3.35 nm for 5alpha-reductase, independent of age. The Vmax parameter for E2 was 40% higher in older men than younger men, but Vmax for DHT was not significantly different between age groups.
CONCLUSIONS: During im testosterone administration, E2 and DHT levels exhibit saturable increases with dose. The rate of whole body aromatization is higher in older men, partly related to their higher percentage fat mass, SHBG, and testosterone levels.

And

J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2006 vol. 91(11) pp. 4669-75
Differences in the apparent metabolic clearance rate of testosterone in young and older men with gonadotropin suppression receiving graded doses of testosterone
Coviello, AD; Lakshman, K; Mazer, NA; Bhasin, S
BACKGROUND: Recently we found that testosterone levels are higher in older men than young men receiving exogenous testosterone. We hypothesized that older men have lower apparent testosterone metabolic clearance rates (aMCR-T) that contribute to higher testosterone levels.
OBJECTIVE: The objective of the study was to compare aMCR-T in older and young men and identify predictors of aMCR-T.
METHODS: Sixty-one younger (19-35 yr) and 60 older (59-75 yr) men were given a monthly GnRH agonist and weekly testosterone enanthate (TE) (25, 50, 125, 300, or 600 mg) for 5 months. Estimated aMCR-T was calculated from the amount of TE delivered weekly and trough serum testosterone concentrations, corrected for real-time absorption kinetics from the im testosterone depot.
RESULTS: Older men had lower total (316 +/- 13 vs. 585 +/- 26 ng/dl, P < 0.00001) and free testosterone (4 +/- 0.1 vs. 6 +/- 0.3 ng/dl, P < 0.00001) and higher SHBG (52 +/- 3 vs. 33 +/- 2 nmol/liter, P < 0.00001) than younger men at baseline. Total and free testosterones increased with TE dose and were higher in older men than young men in the 125-, 300-, and 600-mg dose groups. aMCR-T was lower in older men than young men (1390 +/- 69 vs. 1821 +/- 102 liter/d, P = 0.006). aMCR-T correlated negatively with age (P = 0.0007), SHBG (P = 0.046), and total testosterone during treatment (P = 0.02) and percent body fat at baseline (P = 0.01) and during treatment (P = 0.004). aMCR-T correlated positively with lean body mass at baseline (P = 0.03) and during treatment (P = 0.01). In multiple regression models, significant predictors of aMCR-T included lean body mass (P = 0.008), percent fat mass (P = 0.009), and SHBG (P = 0.001).
CONCLUSIONS: Higher testosterone levels in older men receiving TE were associated with an age-related decrease in apparent testosterone metabolic clearance rates. Body composition and SHBG were significant predictors of aMCR-T.
  • SpiderJerusalem likes this

The Prohormone Podcast - www.prohormonepodcast.com/
Advanced Muscle Science & ForeRunner Labs

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#21 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

WTf whenever I copy/pasta an abstract it cuts off.

Another

J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2006 vol. 91(11) pp. 4669-75
Differences in the apparent metabolic clearance rate of testosterone in young and older men with gonadotropin suppression receiving graded doses of testosterone
Coviello, AD; Lakshman, K; Mazer, NA; Bhasin, S
BACKGROUND: Recently we found that testosterone levels are higher in older men than young men receiving exogenous testosterone. We hypothesized that older men have lower apparent testosterone metabolic clearance rates (aMCR-T) that contribute to higher testosterone levels.
OBJECTIVE: The objective of the study was to compare aMCR-T in older and young men and identify predictors of aMCR-T.
METHODS: Sixty-one younger (19-35 yr) and 60 older (59-75 yr) men were given a monthly GnRH agonist and weekly testosterone enanthate (TE) (25, 50, 125, 300, or 600 mg) for 5 months. Estimated aMCR-T was calculated from the amount of TE delivered weekly and trough serum testosterone concentrations, corrected for real-time absorption kinetics from the im testosterone depot.
RESULTS: Older men had lower total (316 +/- 13 vs. 585 +/- 26 ng/dl, P < 0.00001) and free testosterone (4 +/- 0.1 vs. 6 +/- 0.3 ng/dl, P < 0.00001) and higher SHBG (52 +/- 3 vs. 33 +/- 2 nmol/liter, P < 0.00001) than younger men at baseline. Total and free testosterones increased with TE dose and were higher in older men than young men in the 125-, 300-, and 600-mg dose groups. aMCR-T was lower in older men than young men (1390 +/- 69 vs. 1821 +/- 102 liter/d, P = 0.006). aMCR-T correlated negatively with age (P = 0.0007), SHBG (P = 0.046), and total testosterone during treatment (P = 0.02) and percent body fat at baseline (P = 0.01) and during treatment (P = 0.004). aMCR-T correlated positively with lean body mass at baseline (P = 0.03) and during treatment (P = 0.01). In multiple regression models, significant predictors of aMCR-T included lean body mass (P = 0.008), percent fat mass (P = 0.009), and SHBG (P = 0.001).
CONCLUSIONS: Higher testosterone levels in older men receiving TE were associated with an age-related decrease in apparent testosterone metabolic clearance rates. Body composition and SHBG were significant predictors of aMCR-T.

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#22 Right Hook

Right Hook

Skwats for the twats

• Members
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Learn - Apply - Grow

[/CENTER]

#23 SpiderJerusalem

SpiderJerusalem

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Attached File  3523085437_4bbe1ed112.jpg   41.16KB   77 downloads

"its fucking lasik surgery for christ sake. relax. its not like you are getting a triple bypass" :facepalm:
--P.A.

"Domesticated badgers? Really? As pets?"

--Walter Bishop

#24 seek2bhappy

seek2bhappy

Montana's Finest

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

wow. thank you. 100% answered. guess ill have to pin more frequent.. lol

#25 mr.cooper69

mr.cooper69

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

With respect to most any medication, pharmacological considerations include the reduced clearance in the elderly. Note: THE ELDERLY. Being 40 or 50 years old doesn't cut it in this context. We're talking 65+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aas, androgens, article, find, like, men, prop, testosterone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users