Beta-Blockers That Don't Suck

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 keyser

keyser

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Are there any beta-blockers that don't reduce endurance in the gym and also that are not likely to cause erection problems? Beta-blockers can work well for panic attacks and general heart racing problems, correct(why are SRI's usually the first go to for docs?)?

#2 bigflex0

bigflex0

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Here is a great article on all BP meds. Beta-blockers are towards the end. 

http://www.health.ha...ng-hypertension

#3 ShredMN

ShredMN

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Drop the prescription BP meds and go buy yourself a high quality, standardized hawthorne berry supplement. Can almost guarantee that will bring your blood pressure back down into a normal range without the terrible side effects of beta-blockers, and other BP drugs.

#4 kins38

kins38

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Drop the prescription BP meds and go buy yourself a high quality, standardized hawthorne berry supplement. Can almost guarantee that will bring your blood pressure back down into a normal range without the terrible side effects of beta-blockers, and other BP drugs.

LMAO!- Ok!. How do you guys even know what he is using these drugs for?. I'm betting he wasn't prescribed them. And telling a person who was possibly prescribed BP meds to drop them and get on a supplement?. That's absolutely retarded!

#5 bigflex0

bigflex0

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

Not sure what he is using them for I only posted a comprehensive list with description of the various sides and effectiveness of the drugs out there. I personally use propanolol very occasionally for anxiety and it works great without the sides of benzos(they destroy my memory.)

Hathorn works well for mildly high BP and takes a while to kick in. For immediate results I prefer celery seed extract combined with dandelion extract. That being said some people simply need the meds as their BP is simply too high and stubborn to budge with supplements. Sides or not a beta blocker is better than a kidney transplant or dialysis. 

• Hank! likes this

#6 mr.cooper69

mr.cooper69

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Are there any beta-blockers that don't reduce endurance in the gym and also that are not likely to cause erection problems? Beta-blockers can work well for panic attacks and general heart racing problems, correct(why are SRI's usually the first go to for docs?)?

SSRIs provide longterm treatment of panic disorder but take 6-8 weeks to actually kick in. Benzos and non-selective beta blockers are typically used for breakthrough anxiety in the meantime

#7 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

pindolol is a partial beta blocker.  its S-isomer is supposedly anabolic

Visit My Blog www.patrickarnoldblog.com

Become a Member of E-Pharm Facebook Page www.facebook.com/epharmnutrition

#8 Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

• Knowledgable User
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

http://patrickarnold...indolol-mt-102/

Visit My Blog www.patrickarnoldblog.com

Become a Member of E-Pharm Facebook Page www.facebook.com/epharmnutrition

#9 keyser

keyser

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

I had searched for that blog post, but couldn't find it. Is it a common beta-blocker that is often prescribed? Taking the normal BP version with both isomters I´m basically just getting 50% of the positive effect of the S isomer?

My BP is borderline, usually 90 disatolic so no problem. Anxiety is very different from day to day, same stimuli can do nothing one day and another day cause my heart to race, sweating etc. Why is a SSRI preferred to a beta-blocker? SSRI side effects aren't great so I've avoided them.

#10 bushboar

bushboar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

If BP is an issue, talk to your doctor about trying an angiotensin receptor antagonist/blocker. Cozaar (losartan) has even been shown to enhance erectile function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/11370797/

"Our data suggest that losartan improved erectile function and both satisfaction and frequency of sexual activity."

Sorry if that's not a hotlink, I'm posting this from my phone.

The very effects that make beta blockers work for heart racing, anxiety, etc will hurt you in the gym, so if that's the effect that you need, you may find one that hurts you less but you'll have to live with it to some extent.

#11 seabiscuit hogg

seabiscuit hogg

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

If BP is an issue, talk to your doctor about trying an angiotensin receptor antagonist/blocker. Cozaar (losartan) has even been shown to enhance erectile function.http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/11370797/
"Our data suggest that losartan improved erectile function and both satisfaction and frequency of sexual activity."
Sorry if that's not a hotlink, I'm posting this from my phone.
The very effects that make beta blockers work for heart racing, anxiety, etc will hurt you in the gym, so if that's the effect that you need, you may find one that hurts you less but you'll have to live with it to some extent.

Losartan has also been shown to preserve muscle.
http://www.scienceda...10511142136.htm

#12 keyser

keyser

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info. 

If it's to lessen anxiety related heart racing, then I guess beta-blockers are the only way to go? And pindolol might be a good choice? Wonder if taking it after work out, giving me 22 hours until next work out, if that would make reduced endurace less of a factor for the work out(don't know the half life of these chemicals or if the build up or work acutely etc.)?

#13 bushboar

bushboar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info.

If it's to lessen anxiety related heart racing, then I guess beta-blockers are the only way to go? And pindolol might be a good choice? Wonder if taking it after work out, giving me 22 hours until next work out, if that would make reduced endurace less of a factor for the work out(don't know the half life of these chemicals or if the build up or work acutely etc.)?

There are numerous options for anxiety. It depends on your needs, preference, and what your doctor is willing to prescribe.

Beta blockers are primarily anti hypertensives (blood pressure medications). Some of them happen to work for some symptoms of anxiety in some people.

#14 Mr.50

Mr.50

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

While I agree with that pleased let me caution you that if you and your doctor decide to go with a benzodiazepine please have a long and very frank discussion about what it might be like if you ever choose to discontinue the medication.
Mr.50

#15 keyser

keyser

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

While I agree with that pleased let me caution you that if you and your doctor decide to go with a benzodiazepine please have a long and very frank discussion about what it might be like if you ever choose to discontinue the medication.

Don't care for benzodiazepine's at all. Might as well chug down some bourbon.

#16 Mr.50

Mr.50

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Agreed. Except I used to get rebound anxiety after drinking.
Mr.50

#17 solidwon

solidwon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Be careful if you've been on the beta blocker for awhile.  Sudden cessation can be very bad if you aren't careful.

#18 Mr.50

Mr.50

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

Has anyone here actually used Pindolol for BP control?
Mr.50

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users