• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 commandopat

commandopat

• Members
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCali, except when on cycle and then in The Netherlands

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

Maybe I am over thinking this but how do you dispose of needles? Is there anything wrong with simply throwing them in the trash in a cardboard box for example?
Exercise--------1RM--------@ Weight
Flat Bench------395lbs x2---198lbs
Deadlift---------550lbs---- --187lbs
Pull-ups---------52
Pushups--------2020 in 1 set, non-stop, no knees on ground etc, in 2H 8 mins.

#2 Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit

• Members
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

From what I understand most places have laws regarding the disposal of needles?

I personally just toss 'em out my car window into playgrounds and stuff.

Or... Maybe I put them in a used protein tub with a "hazardous" label taped to it? I dunno if it's legit protocol, but I think it's better than just tossing them in a garbage bag.
  • jadean, CMANavy, Majora23 and 2 others like this
Meat for the Beast

#3 ShredMN

ShredMN

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

I don't know why people are worried about legality when it comes to disposing of needles... If you don't have any infectious disease, you could just detach them from the syringe, put the sheath back on, and then just put them in your garbage.

I'd think it would be way worse to have a sealed container full of used needles that is thrown away once a month. I don't know of many kids who would dig through a trash can, find a needle with a sheath covering it, un-sheath said needle, and then poke themselves with it for fun.

• Chris Benoit and Svartnir like this

#4 Mr Taco

Mr Taco

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

I use laundry detergent containers. They're thick plastic, I'll throw that in a trash bag full of trash. No one is going to go through it because it goes straight from inside my garage to a dump truck.

• 00CT21 likes this

#5 roscoe221

roscoe221

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

I bury them in a nice block of asbestos and and send them off to sea. If no time for that I put them in a Tide bottle and throw them in the trash.

#6 TheMyth89

TheMyth89

Test is BEST!

• Members
  • 4,919 posts
  • LocationIn The Gym!

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

I live in the interior portion of US.  I place mine in 1/2 gallon milk jugs and throw in trash.

Need advice on training, cycle layouts, general supplements, diet or just have a general question? Just send me a PM!

Follow my log:  http://www.prohormon...d-follow-along/

#7 NaastyDogg

NaastyDogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

There are sharps drop-off collection sites all over the place - just look one up near you.  Keep your needles in something like a tide bottle and when it's filled just go drop it off instead of tossing them in the trash.  

Come on guys.  Fuckin a

• RoadBlocK and Chris Benoit like this

#8 Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit

• Members
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

Sometimes when I see a dude I don't like at the gym, I toss a few on the ground next to his bag.
  • Scope75, spinyvegeta, ShredMN and 6 others like this
Meat for the Beast

#9 roscoe221

roscoe221

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

There are sharps drop-off collection sites all over the place - just look one up near you.  Keep your needles in something like a tide bottle and when it's filled just go drop it off instead of tossing them in the trash.  

Come on guys.  Fuckin a

A lot of places, especially rural places, the proper way (as recommended by county govt. and also a few states) to dispose pins is to place in a hard sided plastic container and putting it in the trash.

#10 commandopat

commandopat

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Cool. I've been collecting mine in box for now but like the protein tub and laundry detergent containers. Thank you
Pull-ups---------52

#11 Svartnir

Svartnir

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

I just put them back in their sheath, wrap the plastic around it again, and then throw it in the trash. From there it goes straight to the disposal facility :)

• ShredMN likes this

#12 ShredMN

ShredMN

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

Come on guys.  Fuckin a

I am NOT going to drop off a container full of needles to a sharps collection site.

#13 roscoe221

roscoe221

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

I know several guys who after getting a jug half full will fill the rest with spray foam just for the extra safety against prying eyes.

• RoadBlocK likes this

#14 poopypants

poopypants

Anabolic Poo!

• Members
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

Protonz tub. Tape. Toss. Done.
Luuurkin...

#15 BeauB

BeauB

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

It is not a good idea to toss them by the handful into that mulch-like stuff they use at public playgrounds, in case there was any question.

So, don't do that.

I am told putting them in Visine bottles is ill-advised.

#16 anabolix

anabolix

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes when I see a dude I don't like at the gym, I toss a few on the ground next to his bag.

Lmao!

#17 RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

PHF REP/MOD

• Super Moderators
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

Some real bad info in this thread, so consider this a PSA,

Find the rules and guidelines for your location:

Safe Needle Disposal Solutions by State

https://web.archive....ledisposal.org/

Some recommendations(examples for NJ):

Physicians - Ask your physician if she/he will take your used syringes once they are properly placed in a container.

Local Health Departments - Ask the Health Officer of your local health department if there are any syringe disposal facilities in your area. (see http://nj.gov/health...electcounty.htm for a directory of local and county NJ health departments and contact information.)

Household Waste - Follow these steps to safely dispose of your syringes in your municipal trash. Your syringes must be placed in rigid containers that will protect people from needle sticks and use containers that are unlikely to break open on its way to the landfill.

1. Rigid Container You may use empty laundry detergent bottles or 2-liter soda ‘pop’ bottles or other rigid containers with screw-on caps to dispose of needles and syringes. Check with a pharmacy. Ask if it sells commercial containers specially designed to hold sharps for disposal in your household trash.

2. Label/Warning Place a large label with a warning on the empty container. Example: SYRINGES - DO NOT RECYCLE

3. Needle Clipper Clip the needle. You can buy an inexpensive hand held needle clipper from the pharmacy. Using anything other than a clipper to break a needle is not safe. After clipping the needle, carefully place each of your used needles and syringes into a plastic bottle with a screw-on lid. To the extent practicable, the individual receiving the medical treatment should clip the needle and syringe and place them in the container. In cases where this cannot be done due to the limitations of that individual, and a family care giver or volunteer must perform this activity, it is recommended that the individual’s physician be consulted first.

4. Seal Seal the bottle tightly with its original lid and wrap duct tape over the lid after you fill the bottle with syringes.

5. Disposal You may now dispose of the tightly sealed full container of syringes in your household garbage - NOT in your recycling bin. Remember, although you may feel healthy, your used syringes can transmit germs. In addition, loose syringes thrown in your trash can seriously hurt people. We all benefit from the safe disposal of syringes. Please do your part to help keep our environment clean and safe.

In New Jersey, it is currently legal to put used sharps that are in a laundry detergent bottle with a lid into the garbage.

However, this is highly discouraged because of the injury and health risks it places on garbage hauler and processing facility workers. It is best to use one of the options previously listed for safe management and disposal of used sharps.

NEVER PLACE LOOSE NEEDLES AND SYRINGES IN THE TRASH!

• Label container “Do Not Recycle.”

• Put sharps in point-first.

• Containers more than half-full should be disposed of.

• Store sharps in closed container with the cap screwed on.

Although placing household generated sharps in the regular trash may be allowable under state rule, some municipalities prohibit this disposal method. Please check with the local authority to determine if this practice is acceptable in your community. You should contact your county or city waste manager, public health official, sanitary department, or environmental health department.

Dont be ignorant

Syringes Pose a Danger to Recycling Center Employees

https://web.archive....ticle=44&page=1

Public works officials are urging residents not to throw used medical needles in the trash.

https://web.archive....ticle=2&page=41

• PZTHATER likes this

#18 poopypants

poopypants

Anabolic Poo!

• Members
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

Sounds like my methods is dead on.
Luuurkin...

#19 commandopat

commandopat

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I think someone left their humor in their work pants..
Good references though. Thank you.
Pull-ups---------52

#20 SLR722

SLR722

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

I eat them for the added gains
  • commandopat likes this

#21 rebelhead1

rebelhead1

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

i always put em in the neighbor's gas tank until they moved, lol. now i use tall boy beer cans. i guess that is a rigid container. hope nobody decides to crush the cans by stomping them for recycling and gets stuck.  i dont have any diseases though, except aids and hep c, and thats not contagious is it? idk, my junkie girlfriend said it was genetic and she's real book smart.

• PZTHATER likes this

" i eat grits"  Ronnie Coleman

#22 RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

PHF REP/MOD

• Super Moderators
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

Some real bad info in this thread, so consider this a PSA,

Find the rules and guidelines for your location:

Safe Needle Disposal Solutions by State

https://web.archive....ledisposal.org/

Some recommendations(examples for NJ):

Physicians - Ask your physician if she/he will take your used syringes once they are properly placed in a container.

Local Health Departments - Ask the Health Officer of your local health department if there are any syringe disposal facilities in your area. (see http://nj.gov/health...electcounty.htm for a directory of local and county NJ health departments and contact information.)

Household Waste - Follow these steps to safely dispose of your syringes in your municipal trash. Your syringes must be placed in rigid containers that will protect people from needle sticks and use containers that are unlikely to break open on its way to the landfill.

1. Rigid Container You may use empty laundry detergent bottles or 2-liter soda ‘pop’ bottles or other rigid containers with screw-on caps to dispose of needles and syringes. Check with a pharmacy. Ask if it sells commercial containers specially designed to hold sharps for disposal in your household trash.

2. Label/Warning Place a large label with a warning on the empty container. Example: SYRINGES - DO NOT RECYCLE

3. Needle Clipper Clip the needle. You can buy an inexpensive hand held needle clipper from the pharmacy. Using anything other than a clipper to break a needle is not safe. After clipping the needle, carefully place each of your used needles and syringes into a plastic bottle with a screw-on lid. To the extent practicable, the individual receiving the medical treatment should clip the needle and syringe and place them in the container. In cases where this cannot be done due to the limitations of that individual, and a family care giver or volunteer must perform this activity, it is recommended that the individual’s physician be consulted first.

4. Seal Seal the bottle tightly with its original lid and wrap duct tape over the lid after you fill the bottle with syringes.

5. Disposal You may now dispose of the tightly sealed full container of syringes in your household garbage - NOT in your recycling bin. Remember, although you may feel healthy, your used syringes can transmit germs. In addition, loose syringes thrown in your trash can seriously hurt people. We all benefit from the safe disposal of syringes. Please do your part to help keep our environment clean and safe.

In New Jersey, it is currently legal to put used sharps that are in a laundry detergent bottle with a lid into the garbage.

However, this is highly discouraged because of the injury and health risks it places on garbage hauler and processing facility workers. It is best to use one of the options previously listed for safe management and disposal of used sharps.

NEVER PLACE LOOSE NEEDLES AND SYRINGES IN THE TRASH!

• Label container “Do Not Recycle.”

• Put sharps in point-first.

• Containers more than half-full should be disposed of.

• Store sharps in closed container with the cap screwed on.

Although placing household generated sharps in the regular trash may be allowable under state rule, some municipalities prohibit this disposal method. Please check with the local authority to determine if this practice is acceptable in your community. You should contact your county or city waste manager, public health official, sanitary department, or environmental health department.

Dont be ignorant

Syringes Pose a Danger to Recycling Center Employees

https://web.archive....ticle=44&page=1

Public works officials are urging residents not to throw used medical needles in the trash.

https://web.archive....ticle=2&page=41

Looks like all the relevant info has already been posted.

• EL3964 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users