Lower Back Injury Home Pt Advice

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Wahoo

Wahoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

So i believe i hurt my lower back at work 6 months ago when i basically had to replace around 40 hvac units in a big condominum for 3 weeks straight. They weigh probably 70-120 lbs and are large/awkward to lift. Changed around 3-4 units each day, My back would be sore every day. im off from work on saturday and sunday, but monday before work i would wake up and the back would feel less sore but then back to stressing it at work again for well 3 weeks of doing this.

Now it would feel kinda sore, a dull pain and i figured it would probably heal itself over time since i was done working there. Now its been 6months and every ounce and awhile id wake up for work and feel it would still be sore, but it wasnt everyday that my back would bug me.

So today it feels terrible, just walking it feels shitty, bending over it feels tight,i might go to a chiropractor this next week.

But curious if anyone has experienced this type of thing, and if theres small phyiscal therapy exercises i should do.

#2 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

I have lower spine problems (permanently fucked) I use an inversion table to pull on the spine but it doesn't do much due to being so swole...

Anyways, one thing I enjoy doing but don't regularly do is using the weight belt, put a 25, 45, 45x2 (100lbs if u have them) on the chained belt and hold yourself on the captains chair while the weight pulls down on your back.. I get a lot of relief doing this... Make sure you do this at the end of your workout and make sure to ice it good afterwards..

#3 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Another thing you could do is use a foam roller
  • sinewave3 likes this

#4 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I have lower spine problems (permanently fucked) I use an inversion table to pull on the spine but it doesn't do much due to being so swole...

Hold a weight plate or DB close to your chest while on it and you will feel the difference. That's what I do.

#5 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hold a weight plate or DB close to your chest while on it and you will feel the difference. That's what I do.

Yeah, I do that too, honestly I just hate being upside down... My eyes go crazy when I hang upside down for like more than 5 secs, think it's something to do with my medication. Hanging weight on my hips in the captains chair works way better for me. Only downfall is doing it after working arms or shoulders and can't keep yourself up for more than 15-20 secs

#6 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Never tried the captains chair. Will check it out ;)

#7 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, you look retarded doing it, kinda like "wtf does that guy think he's working out?" But it feels so good
  • Looseunitwa likes this

#8 doc HD

doc HD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Try to see a chiropractor who is a lifter or has experience treating lifters. Preferably one that does deep tissue work or myofascial release therapy. Try lying on your stomach and then going up and holding top of pushup position letting your low back and stomach relax and hang down. yoga position called cobra I believe.  The foam roller suggestion is really good advice. Good luck.

• Looseunitwa likes this

#9 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, you look retarded doing it, kinda like "wtf does that guy think he's working out?" But it feels so good

Lol. Screw 'em

#10 WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

WrkHrdPlyHrd9999

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

Try to see a chiropractor who is a lifter or has experience treating lifters. Preferably one that does deep tissue work or myofascial release therapy. Try lying on your stomach and then going up and holding top of pushup position letting your low back and stomach relax and hang down. yoga position called cobra I believe. The foam roller suggestion is really good advice. Good luck.

Good advice.

#11 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Try lying on your stomach and then going up and holding top of pushup position letting your low back and stomach relax and hang down. yoga position called cobra I believe.  The foam roller suggestion is really good advice. Good luck.

I do this also OP, but instead of using my body to prop my upper half up I usually use multiple pillows kind of diagnolly propping my upper body up while my lower half lays flat and rest

#12 BeauB

BeauB

• Members
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

The few times I have had lower back pain, I've tried the following prior to getting out of bed in the AM:

Laying on my back - (1) bend my legs so the bottoms of my feet are on the ground (or mattress), (2) slowly bring my knees up to my chest, (3) wrap my arms around my knees (as if you are hugging your legs), and (4) hold that position for 30 to 60 seconds. To me it feels as if this increases blood flow and sort of opens everything up.
  • sinewave3 likes this

#13 Wahoo

Wahoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

I tried to sleep perfectly straight on my back all night in case it felt shitty from sleeping funny or something, but slept like shit, woke up still sore as fuck.

I wobbled around through work, it was tough picking tools up from the ground but after lunch it seemed to not be as painful/sore feeling. It got better throughput the day, although now that im sitting on the coach it kinda feels stiff. Ill see how it feels tomorrow.

#14 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

I tried to sleep perfectly straight on my back all night in case it felt shitty from sleeping funny or something, but slept like shit, woke up still sore as fuck.
I wobbled around through work, it was tough picking tools up from the ground but after lunch it seemed to not be as painful/sore feeling. It got better throughput the day, although now that im sitting on the coach it kinda feels stiff. Ill see how it feels tomorrow.

That's not a good idea, sleeping on your back can put it in an unnatural position, the most ideal way to sleep is on your stomach but it can be difficult because of your neck... I sleep on my side using a body pillow in front of me to support my body weight
  • themaharaja likes this

#15 Wahoo

Wahoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

That's not a good idea, sleeping on your back can put it in an unnatural position, the most ideal way to sleep is on your stomach but it can be difficult because of your neck... I sleep on my side using a body pillow in front of me to support my body weight

Oh, didnt realize stomach would be better/ more natural. Ill try it tonight, i do sleep very good on my stomach.

My back felt decent this morning, but i went into work and had a meeting sitting in shitty plastic chairs and my back felt shitty again.

#16 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Foam roller! Best $$ you will ever spend. Takes a few tries to lean how to do it, but stick with it.

I also recommend a lacrosse ball/tennis ball(too soft)/"yoga tune up" ball. If you have knots, lay on your back with the ball under the knot and kinda roll around to release the knot. Do not roll directly on your spine or other bones...

Also go to a doc. I had shoulder pain for the last 6 months and went to the doc. They were like "wow, you are fucked up. Come in for PT 2x per week" I already feel better and should be able to start benching again soon.

Sinewave3's Road To Recovery log: http://www.prohormon...ad-to-recovery/

#17 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Foam roller! Best $$ you will ever spend. Takes a few tries to lean how to do it, but stick with it.
I also recommend a lacrosse ball/tennis ball(too soft)/"yoga tune up" ball. If you have knots, lay on your back with the ball under the knot and kinda roll around to release the knot. Do not roll directly on your spine or other bones...
Also go to a doc. I had shoulder pain for the last 6 months and went to the doc. They were like "wow, you are fucked up. Come in for PT 2x per week" I already feel better and should be able to start benching again soon.

Yeah I bought mine from the place I did PT at for 30 dollars after I had spine surgery

#18 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

20 dollars*

#19 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

I got a blue one for like $25 a few years ago. Use the black (firmer) one at the gym durning warm up. I always start lower body day with some low bank, hammy, glute, and hip/quad foam rolling.

Sometimes it kills me and I am sure people wonder WTF I am sweating like a pig laying on the foam roller...

#20 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Mines just white, idk what that means though

#21 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

Mines just white, idk what that means though

Some manufacturers have different colors for different levels of firmness.

#22 Triton_

Triton_

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

Ah, mine was actually pretty firm when I got it but after a month of use it softened up a bit

#23 themaharaja

themaharaja

• Members
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:04 AM

I know you might roll your eyes but maybe ask for lighter work for the time being...better than seriously injuring yourself and filing a work comp claim. Or ask for lighter work and get your back checked out. Could be something on its way to becoming serious.

#24 doc HD

doc HD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

Sleep on side in fetal position or on back  w 2-3 pillows under knees to keep them bent. Do Not sleep on stomach or  back w straight legs.  Not Good.    Roller and tennis ball good advice.  Light duty good.   Try 15 min . ice followed  immed. w 15  heat .+ repeat.  See a Chiro. !!

#25 Wahoo

Wahoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Sleep on side in fetal position or on back w 2-3 pillows under knees to keep them bent. Do Not sleep on stomach or back w straight legs. Not Good. Roller and tennis ball good advice. Light duty good. Try 15 min . ice followed immed. w 15 heat .+ repeat. See a Chiro. !!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now i was told a chiropractor isnt a real doctor, and maybe i should go to a physical therapist? Any thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)