Sore Injury Rehab doc doctor

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Hi guys,  Been feeling pretty sore and just dealing with a bunch of minor injuries lately.  Big lifts keep dropping due to one injury after another.  Down to squats and rows only...

August went crazy one day after reading about the Landmine shoulder press.  Felt good and I was feeling a bit wild so I just kept adding 10 lbs or so and doing reps.  Hit a heavy 5 and stripped 10 each set on the way back down… Shoulder was pissed the next day!  Took it easy, no benching or pressing for a few weeks, but it never really healed.  Googled a bunch of rehab and rotator cuff stuff.  Weeks into months and I still can't bench or press heavy.  

November I was planning on a December cycle but shoulder never healed and both feet started getting sore.  Deloaded on all lifts and took 2 weeks off and eased back into lifting.  Feet still sore so I for nome new gym shoes.  End of december I was deadlifting a semi heavy weight, not weak heavy, about 50 lbs lighter than my max.  A weight I have hit 5 reps with many times.  On my 5th rep I felt a twinge in my right foot. Shit, no deads, no bench, no press… No cycle.

Nutted up and hit the doctor after another week or two.  I hate doctors and have not seen one in over 10 years… Doc was a female and pretty hot.  Diagnosed my feet with Plantar Fasciitis but referred me to a Physical Therapist for the shoulder.  Also got massage therapy referral.  Doc said roll a tennis ball (or frozen water bottle) under my feet morning and night. 

Physical Therapist said I have shoulder impingement.  Maybe a nerve. Been over 6 months and still can't raise my arm above my head without pain.  PT doc gave me these weird shoulder blade exercises to do and chest and rotator cuff stretches.  Also want me to assess my desk at work and home to make sure it's more ergonomic… PT doc was also kinda hot.  Have to go 2x per week for the net month.  Cost is $70 per visit AFTER insurance.  Have been 2x so far.  $$$

Went to massage therapy for the first time a couple days ago.  Got a dude… Not hot! lol, no happy ending either.  Oh well, prob need someone stronger to get the knots out of my neck.  Was awkward at first, but seemed to really help. I could tell he was finding shitloads of knots I did not even know I had.  Had a bunch in my chest by the sore shoulder, and a bunch i my back.  Felt kinda sore but kinda better afterward.  Was cool that insurance covered most of the massage and I only had to pay $10.  Have another scheduled next week.  

Will probably update this a couple times per week.  PT said no more pull-ups for now.  Sucks because I worked up to repping a 45lb plate on the waist.  

I got a fat first post on this thread but let me know if you have any questions.  I know we have some  jacked bro's but also some that are jacked up and not in a good way. 

Sinewave3's Road To Recovery log: http://www.prohormon...ad-to-recovery/

#2 themaharaja

themaharaja

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Wishing you get back to the gains soon. If you stay on aas you can get shredded haha.

Glad the shoulder didn't become a cuff tear though.

#3 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Keep on the PT for the shoulder. Those exercises seem dumb and a waste of time, but they really do strengthen all the rotators and other small shoulder stabilizers. I had to do all of them following my surgery for labral repair. PT is def way expensive. They are valuable for teaching you a ton of those exercises.

Keep after it bro! One rehab is always better than 2 lol.
  • sinewave3 likes this

Animis Representative

www.animis.org/forum

#4 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

Wishing you get back to the gains soon. If you stay on aas you can get shredded haha.

Glad the shoulder didn't become a cuff tear though.

Yep, glad i didn't get a full on tear...  They seem to think I might have had some kind of imbalance and that one day just pushed me over the edge. 

Keep on the PT for the shoulder. Those exercises seem dumb and a waste of time, but they really do strengthen all the rotators and other small shoulder stabilizers. I had to do all of them following my surgery for labral repair. PT is def way expensive. They are valuable for teaching you a ton of those exercises.

Keep after it bro! One rehab is always better than 2 lol.

For sure.  I think they were surprised when I said I was actually doing all the exercises and stretches as prescribed.  There are a couple they have me do where I lay face down and contract my shoulder blades (put them in my pockets) and raise my arms.  It's a small movement but it seemed to be way tougher that I thought.  The "sleeper stretch" really kinda gets me in a weird spot sometimes, too.  

Some of the stuff is way easy like the rows with the little band... Still do everything though cause it's beed 6 months and I learned the hard way I am not gonna heal up on my own.  

Did hit the weights twice this week.  Wednesday did some squats, stiff-legged deads, and foam rolling.  Yesterday did some machine rows, triceps, and some cable rows.  In the past I was doing dumbbell rows with a 110lb dumbbell for 10 heavy reps, but the doc wanted me to drop the weight, and stop doing 1 arm rows for now.  Only 2 handed ones for the time being.  

#5 Acerola

Acerola

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery good sir!

• sinewave3 likes this

#6 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

I use to have to do one where you lay on your back and punch towards ceiling to help strengthen shoulder blades. I also use to have to do weighted ball rolls. Hold ball against wall the rotate Clockwise, then counter clockwise, then up, down, left, and right. Some of the easiest seeming things are the hardest lol.

Animis Representative

www.animis.org/forum

#7 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Went to physical therapy and hung out with the hotties there again Friday.

Had to leave work early to make it there on time so no gym time. Therapist said my traps and last felt better than Monday. They always start off my sessions by digging into my muscles and feeling around. They poke around in my traps, lats, and shoulder. This time she could actually get into the traps. She said Monday my muscles were too locked up to feel anything.

Got some more exercises assigned and a pec minor stretch. The other stretches they have given me I can tell the muscles are pretty tight, but not this one. Didn't even feel he stretch! After a few minutes of form check we moved on. Tried it a few times since and can't quite find the stretch.

Doc did start having me do some external rotations for rotator cuff and also a new serratus move that's kinda like a push up. Well, maybe a geriatric push up a 90 year old would do...

Shoulder is feeling slightly better. Picked up some cissus extract so started taking that, too.

#8 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Went to PT again today. Went pretty well, said I can incorporate Lat pulls again so pretty happy about that! Promised to keep it light for now...

Therapist also said I was killing it with the scapula push up thing. Did a few variations and she said I am past a few of them so on to band resisted crawls. Basically loop a band around the wrists and crawl around keeping shoulder blades pulled down and in the pockets. Sounds easy but it's kinda tough.

She also said that I am recovering much faster than most people. Not sure if it is because I was in decent shape, or if it is all the hard work I am putting into their assigned exercises, but that was a relief to hear. Was a relief to know I will be back to more lifts soon and that this is also not going to bankrupt me! PT ain't cheap, but health is priceless.

Hit the gym and planned on doing squats but could not get a rack. Repped out on cable rows, chest supported (low) rows, and did some light Lat pulldowns. Felt weird to do them so light but tried to keep my muscles flexed for mor challenge. Had a nice pump.

Nutrition was decent for such a busy day. Prob about 3000 calories. Had put on an extra lb of body weight when I weighed in, but woke up feeling a bit leaner this morning. Work was crazy busy so lunch (post work out meal) was late but I did not starve.

#9 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

I think that ppl who lift regularly get through PT faster for some reason. I think since our bodies are used to muscle damage and recovery process it makes it easier for the PT stuff to take hold. I think I was able to shave off 2 weeks of my PT post surgery and the last week was only once a week instead of 2. It was awesome.

Animis Representative

www.animis.org/forum

#10 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

I think that ppl who lift regularly get through PT faster for some reason. I think since our bodies are used to muscle damage and recovery process it makes it easier for the PT stuff to take hold. I think I was able to shave off 2 weeks of my PT post surgery and the last week was only once a week instead of 2. It was awesome.

That's great! Kinda what I was thinking, we eat decent and are used to putting on muscle. I was a bit concerned at first because I have been sore for over 6 months and was too stubborn to go in, but seeing some progress feels good.

#11 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

Still doing my PT exercises.  The band resisted crawls are actually pretty tough...

Yesterday  was out of town all day for work.  No gym and diet was crap.  By 3pm I had missed lunch and was starving.  Drove past a McDonalds on the way back to the office and resisted ordering one of everything n the menu.  Prob been since November since I have been in a fast food place.  Girl was not feeling good so picked up some local burritos on the way home for dinner. 

Cals were not too crazy, not great, and not "clean" but will be back at it today. 

#12 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Diet has mostly been back in check last couple days. Hit up Costco and got a bunch of veggies and more of those trident wild salmon burgers. Those are the best!

Had PT Friday am and went well. I was with the head doc and was cleared for light dumbbell rows after a serious form check. They want me to keep my shoulder blades pinned down and back through the whole movement. I used to let them drop forward at the bottom because I thought I was getting a better range of motion. They put a stop to that!

Another exercise they added was a partial push up with the soaps retracted. Felt like a wuss in the pt room doing them on my knees... Guess that's what 6 months of no pressing will do to you. After 3 sets of 10 that were almost full ROM I was sweating as much as last time I benched 225. Good news is that I prob have 90% of my range of motion back and only pain when reaching across my body overhead.
  • commandopat likes this

#13 iceman99uc

iceman99uc

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like you're pretty close to full go again man. Good to hear. I will say prepare to be humbled when you get cleared to press again lol. I went from reps at 225 to reps of 95 lol.

Animis Representative

www.animis.org/forum

#14 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like you're pretty close to full go again man. Good to hear. I will say prepare to be humbled when you get cleared to press again lol. I went from reps at 225 to reps of 95 lol.

I hear you! There have been a few humbling times already. Doing the partial push-ups and the women ask "how's that feel? You look a little shakey" lol

#15 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

Went to PT again. After exam the doc said "you're about to get worked"

She pulled on my arm/shoulder some then did a form check on a few moves. Rows, Lat pulls, etc. then the workout started. First was some punches with weights. Next legs were balanced on a swill ball and I crawled around using only my hands and tried to stay balanced. Next were like tennis racket swings but cable resisted. Kinda weird but got the hang of it. Last was like throwing a ball overhand but band resisted. Hard to explain but there was that overhand throwing motion and a step with a torso twist.

Not used to really any chest and I definitely felt it later that day and yesterday! Not really sore, just some weird muscles that have been asleep felt worked and tired.

Hit the gym for a lunchtime back session later. Banged out 3 sets of 10-15 on seated cable rows, Lat pull downs, high rows (like a row at face pull height) and low rows. Tossed in 3 sets of triceps with some rows to get a solid arm pump. Really focused on form and those MFing shoulder blades. Diet was solid but was still hungry after lunch, my post workout meal.

#16 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Been in the gym pretty steady this week. Made it the last 4 days but have to miss today to go to PT.

Second back workout of the week I added in some dumbbell rows, day before yesterday. Kept it light 45 lb dumbbell) and focused on the form again. Good thing too, because I got a knot on my left side later in the day. Nothing a bit of foam rolling and some time on the lacrosse ball could not fix, but let me know I was getting close to overdoing it...

Hit some more squats yesterday. Short on time so I warmed up, hit a couple medium weight sets for 10 reps, and finished off with a couple sets of 10 of still legged deadlifts for the old hammies.

#17 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

Monday was back at the Physical Therapist.

Started with the usual questions, how is the shoulder, doing the exercises, etc. then they did the standard manual therapy which is pulling on my arm and pressing on my shoulder. Afterward they asked if it is still sore. Checked in the painful positions and felt no pain, just a slight tightness an a couple points! Was pretty amazed. Continued with some exercises and finished up my PT session.

More good news: they added "presses" back into my routine. It's not a bench press or overhead press like you would think, though. They want it done with the cable machine, light reps, and super strict form. When lowering the weight they do not want the elbows to go lower than torso/90 degrees. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer for bench press to come back, but at leas to am not sore just trying to take off my shirt any more.

Hit back from a bunch of angles Monday and Tuesday and both days did the "presses" actually got a bit of a chest pump yesterday and was strutting around like I hit a new max on bench press, lol. Squats are on the menu later today.

#18 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

Shoulder/chest has been a bit sore the last few days... The PT thought it might be Pec Minor and thinks I might have over done it a bit with the pressing last week. Come on, I kept the weights crazy light! I did do the pressing 4 days though, lol. Been working on the pec minor stretch cause it's a weird stretch and hard to get right. Going back again today and will see what they say.

#19 sinewave3

sinewave3

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

Hit the PT Monday. Main doc said I am improving, but external rotation is still weak. Think the traditional rotator cuff move with elbow by your side. Good news is I can drop to once per week, starting next week.

Been having some chest/shoulder tightness, they suspect pec minor. Going for massage today. Just got an extra bill from them that says insurance has not been covering tithe last few visits so I will have to pay the difference. It's kinda fucked because insurance negotiates a lower price with a doc than an uninsured person can pay. So even if you have insurance, but it's not covered (yet in my case, have not hit my high deductible) your price is lower than someone with no insurance due to those negotiations. That's crazy to me.

Also went to GP doc Monday. Brought up low testosterone and went for bloods first thing Tuesday. She ordered some other bloods, too so will see how that goes. Prob not related to my shoulder but might help some other stuff I am working on.

Also got some new insoles Monday. They are called Superfeet and are supposed to be great. They have different colors that signify different features like padding, arch support, etc. my feet have been sore in the balls/metatarsal area so I got the cushy and supportive orange model. Just installed them and today is their first voyage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sore, Injury, Rehab, doc, doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users