Total Calories Calculation...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 delariva

delariva

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

I was reading where a bodybuilder was explaining that when calculating how many calories to eat per day while cutting, he would basically calculate his calorie intake to 10 calories per pound of his target weight. I have seen other sources say that when you reach without about 10-15 lbs of overall goal weight that you can calculate the lean mass percentage and use that as the calorie calculation.

For example (only because I'm not explaining it well):

I weigh 195 lbs now and my goal is 183. If I aim for 10 calories per pound of current weight that would be 1950 calories. Based on my goal weight that would be 1850 calories. Should I calculate my caloric intake on what I weigh NOW or my target? Also, is 10 calories per pound a low multiplier number?

Here's what I've been doing: I have estimated that when I reach 183 pounds I'll be closer to 10 body fat. If I based my calories per day on my target weight lean mass then I'm around 1647 calories a day. Working out 6 days a week moderate intensity that seems awfully low. I had to drop sprints because I wasn't recovering fast enough to do that and hit the weights hard. I'm worried about losing muscle mass if my calorie intake is too low.

I have been having a cheat meal 1-2 times a week to keep my sanity, but I'm still stalled at around 195 at the end of the week. Any thoughts or ideas?

Anyone have any other methods for calculating calories or macros? Thanks bros

#2 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

its highly individual. you have to keep it steady and assess

http://milehighkratom.com/janoy15 for 15% discount<p>Most of my post are simply talking out loud. Do not take what I say seriously.

Wes15 also for 15% off of imr products. They're always reliable on the shipping speeds so if you need it fast, you know where to go.

#3 delariva

delariva

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

I know it's probably an impossible question to answer, but from your experience with endomorph-ectomorph types like me is there a greater likelihood that people tend to stall out from going too low on calories or too high?

I figured the scale isn't a great tool for comparison going from only cardio/calorie restriction to weightlifting/calorie restriction because it could be at least a little added muscle.

I guess I should've gotten a better fat percent measurement before I'd started.

#4 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

Well no it won't stall you out, but crash diets always result in a rebound, not from slow metabolism which is a myth, but from over eating after. Also the reason people think going too low causes the metabolism to slow and a refeed speeds is up is water retention related and cortisol related. Just google lyle mcdonald stalls and wooshes and water weight. His articles will explain it. Once you get lean (around 10%) is when this can start being an issue. With more fat your body knows you're not dying and shouldn't worry too much about specific diet strategy.
  • delariva likes this
http://milehighkratom.com/janoy15 for 15% discount<p>Most of my post are simply talking out loud. Do not take what I say seriously.

Wes15 also for 15% off of imr products. They're always reliable on the shipping speeds so if you need it fast, you know where to go.

#5 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

Do not forget to compensate for exercise. If your goal caloric intake is 2200 calories ( which seems close for a 195 lber ) and if you burn 300 calories exercising, you would have only taken in 1900 calories. My maintain caloric intake is 3290 to stay at 215 lbs, so i use that as a slow cut or recomp number and not include my daily exercise calories burnt. Works really well, but you have to be careful where your calories come from. Keep the protein and fat fairly close and limit carbs to first part of day or pre and post workout and you should be good. 

My fitness pal can calculate all of it for you.

• delariva likes this

#6 delariva

delariva

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

It must be the carbs...or the fucking tequila. Something's keeping my ass fat. I read some of Lyle McDonald articles like you suggested but I think you're right and that I'm probably not bloated cause I'm still too fat a bastard for any of that to matter just yet.

I was doing fitness pal but that's when I hit both of my stalls and I thought the calories were a bit high. I'm right at about 1700 but i have not calculated a few cheat days/meals alhtough I haven't gluttoned myself (cheeseburger and fries one meal, spaghetti meatball the other but no crazy proportions). Damn maybe that's what's screwing me up. It's only been the last couple of weeks that I've been unable to run or do HIIT like I normally do. I either run 6 miles at an easy pace (@ 54-56 minutes usually) or I do HIIT (8 hill sprints in about 10 minutes including rest times --or-- sprint 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds for 4 minutes or 8 cycles). The last couple of weeks I have been concentrating on gaining strength on compound lifts 6-7 days a week.

Must be hidden or uncalculated calories because I have only gained in my lifts and I don't feel too over-trained. I'll jack up the cardio back to 18 miles jogging at a light pace every week, try and keep my lifting schedule about where it is, throw in a rest day and recalculate my calorie intake of course.

Thank you both for your help! if you can think of anything else I'm sure I'm missing I'm all ears and would be grateful

#7 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

It must be the carbs...or the fucking tequila. Something's keeping my ass fat. I read some of Lyle McDonald articles like you suggested but I think you're right and that I'm probably not bloated cause I'm still too fat a bastard for any of that to matter just yet.

I was doing fitness pal but that's when I hit both of my stalls and I thought the calories were a bit high. I'm right at about 1700 but i have not calculated a few cheat days/meals alhtough I haven't gluttoned myself (cheeseburger and fries one meal, spaghetti meatball the other but no crazy proportions). Damn maybe that's what's screwing me up. It's only been the last couple of weeks that I've been unable to run or do HIIT like I normally do. I either run 6 miles at an easy pace (@ 54-56 minutes usually) or I do HIIT (8 hill sprints in about 10 minutes including rest times --or-- sprint 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds for 4 minutes or 8 cycles). The last couple of weeks I have been concentrating on gaining strength on compound lifts 6-7 days a week.

Must be hidden or uncalculated calories because I have only gained in my lifts and I don't feel too over-trained. I'll jack up the cardio back to 18 miles jogging at a light pace every week, try and keep my lifting schedule about where it is, throw in a rest day and recalculate my calorie intake of course.

Thank you both for your help! if you can think of anything else I'm sure I'm missing I'm all ears and would be grateful

watch out for those small trace calories. For example, splenda, ketchup and other stuff like that. Weigh calorie dense stuff on the gram scale instead of tbs cuz that can be off. Also keep in mind if you're gaining strength it's likely you're gaining muscle. Took me forever to accept gaining muscle and losing fat is possible cuz all I was ever told on bodybuilding.com and shit was that it was impossible. It's not. Ive racked my brain and drove myself crazy scale watching for so long wondering why the fuck I've only lost x amount on y amount of calories. Just gotta realize you could have gained muscle and if the mirror looks better you probably did. Some tips for sauces are look up walden farms, or get reduced sugar ketchup, mustard is your friend. No calories really. I just add 100 calories in myfitnesspal anytime I use calorie free sauces, reduced sugar ketchup, and sugar free barbque to compensate for the trace calories.
  • delariva likes this

#8 delariva

delariva

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

That's true. Some people can barely gain muscle even during bulking. My upper body for some reason takes massive effort and eating to grow, but my legs are another story. I work legs every 10 days to 2 weeks because the slightest thing and my legs blow up. I've even seen some decent size growth in my calves and quads doing 6 miles a day jogging.

I'll add in the calories for all sauces and see if that drops it down.

Thank you!

#9 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

High intensity weight training works wonders on recomp/cutting. I only do two a day and I can change my body completely in 60-90 days, as long as my protein is high, carbs are low and fat is poly or mono unsaturated only. Can't miss workouts, gotta do two a day for six days and I guarantee, you will tighten up after two or three months.

#10 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

High intensity weight training works wonders on recomp/cutting. I only do two a day and I can change my body completely in 60-90 days, as long as my protein is high, carbs are low and fat is poly or mono unsaturated only. Can't miss workouts, gotta do two a day for six days and I guarantee, you will tighten up after two or three months.

you do realize intensity is high weight low reps right? If you mean high volume with high reps then no. That essentially is the absolute worst way to recomp or cut. If you mean it in the correct form, then yes it's the best.

#11 bradray

bradray

• Members
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

Your intensity might be that way, but my body reacts great to high rep low to medium weight intense interval training. Everyone is different, but at the end if the day, whether high weight low rep, or high rep low weight, you have to find what works for you and stick with it.

#12 janoy crevesa

janoy crevesa

• Members
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Your intensity might be that way, but my body reacts great to high rep low to medium weight intense interval training. Everyone is different, but at the end if the day, whether high weight low rep, or high rep low weight, you have to find what works for you and stick with it.

no. that's the scientific definition of intensity. What youre talking about is high volume, which can work well, especially for people using drugs but its well documented that training with a higher intensity (weight) more frequently is better for naturals or moderate drug users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users